Alan7140

Exploring an idea

Prior to starting a possible project I took a photo in the studio of my antique c.1925 Görlitzer Camera Werke half plate studio stand camera using my c.1911 Thornton Pickard half plate camera with a 1935 Carl Zeiss Jena 4,5/210 lens using fresh Ilford Multigrade printing paper as the negative material. I guess if you want to take an authentic-looking early-era photograph, using equipment from that era certainly helps in achieving the 'look'.

This is not really a technique for portraiture given that it took 12 successive flashes of two 1000w/s flash heads at 1 metre distance @f/11 to achieve the exposure (I doubt your average sitter could be totally unblinking and motionless during that lightning-storm performance!), but the effect with a static object certainly delivered what I was looking for, with an image that looks very much like it could easily have been taken in the late 19th or early 20th Century. The combination of ultra-fine grain negative and large format subject-background separation certainly gives a good visual appearance of solidity to the subject.

WVHvNne.jpg

• Like 2

12x1000W? Crikey. 

Looking at this thing instantly brought to mind an apparatus I came across while visiting The Castle Of Good Hope in Cape Town last week. Perhaps it might help those subjects to hold still too. 😂 

IMG_2442.JPG

😁It wouldn't stop them blinking, though...

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.