atpaula

Veteran's Day 2019 in NYC today

Veterans Day (originally known as Armistice Day) is a federal holiday in the United States observed annually on November 11, for honoring military veterans, that is, persons who have served in the United States Armed Forces (and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable).[1][2] It coincides with other holidays including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day which are celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. At the urging of major U.S. veteran organizations, Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.

Veterans Day is distinct from Memorial Day, a U.S. public holiday in May. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day honors those who have died while in military service.[3] There is another military holiday, Armed Forces Day, a U.S. remembrance that also occurs in May, which honors those currently serving in the U.S. military. (wikipedia)

Taken today at Manhattan's 5th avenue.

Thank you for looking.

aD5S_7149_zpsa9xjcg9z.jpg

aD5S_7174_zpslxcqncva.jpg

aD5S_7062_zpstiw7egt6.jpg

aD5S_6788_zpsnwjx12es.jpg

aD5S_6861_zpstixsw1y1.jpg

aD5S_6760_zpslf6hmmku.jpg

aD5S_6957_zpsysoglpyp.jpg

aD5S_6905_zpsbtfkhu6t.jpg

aD5S_6978_zpsl01aeqbe.jpg

aD5S_6864_zpsp7yxnjok.jpg

• Like 1
  • Applaud 1

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

A wonderful, humbling series of images, Aguinaldo. We wore our poppies on Saturday here too. 

My heart is at war with my mind constantly on the very issue of war. In my heart I am a pacifist, but in my mind I desire to put to death all that is evil in the world. And that carries with it the greatest penalty of man's curse. Death. 

On 12/11/2019 at 00:28, Dallas said:

A wonderful, humbling series of images, Aguinaldo. We wore our poppies on Saturday here too. 

My heart is at war with my mind constantly on the very issue of war. In my heart I am a pacifist, but in my mind I desire to put to death all that is evil in the world. And that carries with it the greatest penalty of man's curse. Death. 

Thank you for the words Dallas.

Here in the USA the ever present security aparatus don't let us forget about evil.

In Brazil we don't have a such present aparatus, but we witness evil a lot. The violence there is at an unbearable level

Edited by atpaula
change safety for security

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)