I've waited months to get this shot - there is a 3-4 week period twice a year when things line up!  Same spot up on Studley Park Road that I have used previously.  I was hoping desperately that the cloud didn't thicken as I drove over.

49023555187_2b4499f3b7_o.jpg

sunset 

I might post a few more once I get through reviewing them.

• Like 1

Hmmm... compositionally it isn't working for me, Chris. I am seeing too much black at the bottom of the frame and the close hanging branch on the left is intruding too much into the frame for my liking. 

8 hours ago, Dallas said:

Hmmm... compositionally it isn't working for me, Chris. I am seeing too much black at the bottom of the frame and the close hanging branch on the left is intruding too much into the frame for my liking. 

I do have a few alternative compositions - I’m sure there will be one you like.  Unusual for me I spent an hour watching the sunset and sky darken and must have 50-60 shots with the tripod on exactly the same spot.

22 hours ago, Dallas said:

This is probably more to your taste - zoomed in for a tighter crop and also a bit more detail in the foreground.

49027648588_ba9ef4d639_o.jpg

sunset 3 

I did also wait for it to get dark.

49027644353_cf8635afa9_o.jpg

sunset 5 

And one of the few shots from a different angle when a flock of bats flew past....  or is it a swarm of bats?

49028161011_e7c08c8387_o.jpg

sunset 4 

Unfortunately the bats didn't fly across the more balanced parts of the scene, so the composition isn't quite so good.☹️

• Like 1

I find the evening shots a lot more interesting to look at. 

and the final couple....

49028165791_396509655e_o.jpg

sunset 2 ...a zoom right into the sunset.

49028376132_0c3817f0ea_o.jpg

sunset 6 

and a wider night scene.

All shot on Fuji X-E3 with either 18-55 or 55-200 and, something I don't do often enough, tripod mounted.

• Like 1

... and the last one nails it. Worth the wait.

Poor old St Pauls is totally overwhelmed by all those buildings now - they may as well save on their power bill by turning the spotlights off these days.

On 09/11/2019 at 22:26, Dallas said:

I find the evening shots a lot more interesting to look at. 

I'm not sure if you mean during or after sunset?

On 11/11/2019 at 00:11, Alan7140 said:

... and the last one nails it. Worth the wait.

Poor old St Pauls is totally overwhelmed by all those buildings now - they may as well save on their power bill by turning the spotlights off these days.

I do enjoy the night scenes myself too.  I think the cathedral provides an interesting contrast to the taller, newer buildings around it.  Hopefully it doesn't get blocked out of this view.  I think I need to find a new viewpoint to work from for a while.  Perhaps a return visit in mid-winter when the sun has set well to the right of this scene might give a cleaner, bluer night sky.  

Thanks to to everyone who has stopped by, even if just to look.