Chris Wahl

Daylight in the bush

Outstanding stuff, Chris. You certainly do get a different perspective of nature from that hide. 

Thanks Dallas!

Yes, getting low is so important and the hides offer that in a perfect way ...

Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

Beautiful stuff, Chris, I truly envy you the cheetah up close ! I got some faraway shots of one in 2004, nothing since .. 😪

May I ask where you were ? Edit .. Got it !

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Thanks a lot Maurice, much appreciated!

Phinda is also a very good place to photograph cheetahs, Phinda is well known for them.

At Sabi Sabi I had my only encounter with a cheetah hunting (unsuccessful) but in general Phinda and Zimanga give you a better chance to spot and photograph them.

20 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Outstanding series of images, Chris. Beautiful subjects and colours.

Thanks a lot again Luc, glad you like the images and much appreciated! Took me ages to get the colours right :)

Cheers, Chris

• Like 1

I love the vantage point the hide gives, good job! The change in perspective the hide at ground level gives (or below) is a game changer.

On most of the safari images I see it is too obvious they are being shot from high up on a vehicle therefore lacking intimacy and not being immersive. Perhaps is just  personal preference but shooting from an elevated vehicle doesn't do it for me. I imagine this has to do with safety and other logistics, which is understandable. That is what has held me back for doing one of these trips.

Very nice images Chris, they certainly make the viewer feel connected to the environment.

Thanks so much Rodrigo! You are absolutely right regarding the vantage point ... Getting low makes all the difference for that kind of photographs. In the overnight hides you actually sit a bit below water level. I couldn't agree more to all what you wrote!

However, there are other kinds of images where a vehicle is very useful  and where even the back row (aka the "Disney Seat") is the preferred option. I got some images of leopards in the tree or birds in flight (and other stuff) that wouldn't have been possible from within a hide. Following a pack of wild dogs in a vehicle also was an experience that I'll never forget.

again thanks Rodrigo,

Chris

• Like 1

You are absolutely right, the vehicle offers other possibilities, so your approach of combining it with the hide seems the best way to go.

I really enjoyed all of the images you posted in all of your 5 posts, thanks for that.

• Like 1

Zimanga is on my radar, but they don't offer tour operator deals just yet, so it makes it very difficult for me to include them on my safaris. I'm working on changing that and these incentives from Chris have definitely helped push me along! 

I am an approved agent for &Beyond who own Phinda and many other exciting places worldwide, so in the near future I will be putting together some very enticing photo safari deals for private travellers. Stay tuned! I'm still hoping to get full interest in the Phinda trips I have designed here

• Like 1