Chris Wahl

Lions - Night

😲 Holy cow! I mean lion... What astonishing images! That last one is the stuff that dreams are made of. 

• Like 1

Again thanks Dallas and ... oh yes ... I am super happy with the images leave alone the emotions during the encounters. I can't describe the feeling sitting somewhere (well hidden) so close to the animals ... Think about it ... 38mm and only slightly cropped ...

Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

I saw that focal length. Crazy! 

• Like 1

Thanks David, much appreciated!

Chris, absolutely outstanding photos, maybe the best lion photos I've ever seen!  You must have been close to these lions.  From a personal safety standpoint, do you have a big rifle with you when photographing lions?

Dallas, on your photo safari's in big cat country, do you have an armed guide/guard/security along in case a big animal attacks the photographers?  If so, I'm curious as to what calibur of gun they have?

Edited by blurmagic

Thanks a lot for your kind words Dave! There were no rifles around at that place (at least not that I am aware of and I am pretty sure I would have noticed). The hides are securely locked (usually two doors) so there is no way lions can enter. Elephants however are a much bigger potential threat because they can easily smash the windows of the hides if they would be interested to do so which they aren't. It is of course strictly forbidden to leave the hides without a ranger nearby. All in all I always felt safe but the mileage of others varies :).

Guides / Rangers at Sabi Sabi and Phinda always have a rifle in the safari vehicle and they take it when they leave the car and expect an animal nearby. I have however no clue which calibur it is. I am not into rifles ... it is much safer to behave yourself and anticipate the environment and the mood of the animals. I remember encounters with Elephants where the rangers did not trust to get too close to them. Those rangers and the trackers can literally read the bush and do everything to avoid situations where a rifle is the last solution ... and they are extremely good!

• Like 1

Awesome images. Congrats!

I can see evil in their eyes!

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

Chris, the ultimate compliment for your wonderful Lion photos will be that I'm sure that these images will be stolen with abandon.    So, you might want to be sure to copyright protect them.

11 hours ago, blurmagic said:

Dallas, on your photo safari's in big cat country, do you have an armed guide/guard/security along in case a big animal attacks the photographers?  If so, I'm curious as to what calibur of gun they have?

Dave, it varies but I think that for parks with elephants they need a minimum of a 458 calibre. I will ask one of my ranger buddies and get back to you. 

Regarding the attacks by cats, if you are on the vehicle this is very unlikely as they don't see the vehicle as a threat. There's a bit of a misconception about animals seeing the vehicle with people on it as a single animal bigger than them, but it's not true. They definitely have the ability to distinguish people from vehicles. That said, most animals are innately afraid of humans (for good reason) and unless they are feeling threatened or they fancy their chances of taking you out, they would rather not have a confrontation and will either try to scare you off or beat a hasty retreat themselves. This is why rangers will tell you to never run because if you do the animals instinct will automatically kick in and they will take you out. If you stand your ground, however, they will lose their confidence and won't know quite how to react. This varies from animal to animal, but generally you're never going to outrun them so better to take your chances and fend off any attacks. 

I vividly remember seeing a documentary on lions when I was a little boy where this guy was in the bush tracking a lion pride. He was short of food and the lions had made a kill so he hatched a plan to steal part of the kill from them. So he runs towards them, screaming like a Banshee and waving his arms like crazy. The lions scattered like mad because they had no idea what this thing was that they were being attacked by. He got out his bush knife, cut off a piece from the animal and then disappeared. The lions eventually returned to their kill but it just goes to show that while they have the title "King Of The Jungle" it's just a title. :) 

• Like 1

Not the same film I was talking about but the same outcome: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, atpaula said:

Awesome images. Congrats!

I can see evil in their eyes!

Thanks again Aguinaldo and noooo .... no evil ... just hungry :)

17 hours ago, enough said:

Chris, these are superb.  What an experience and what fantastic captures.

Thanks for you kind words Mark! Such encounters with wild life are magical and is a big part of what I am living for. Being on their territory and trying to adapt as much as possible to their rules is what it is all about.

12 hours ago, blurmagic said:

Chris, the ultimate compliment for your wonderful Lion photos will be that I'm sure that these images will be stolen with abandon.    So, you might want to be sure to copyright protect them.

Dave, you are probably right that some people (aka thieves) will use the images for whatever purpose but the only way to avoid this is a very intrusive watermark which is s.th. I stubbornly refuse to do. A non-intrusive watermark is photoshopped in no time ... For everything else I got the raw files which is enough proof of copyright ... Well ... as you proposed ... I take it as a compliment :) (and will react ugly in case I notice unauthorized usage)

• Like 1

Brilliant clip, thanks for sharing Dallas! I take it that you can't play that steal-the-kill game too often with the same pride :)

11 hours ago, Chris Wahl said:

I take it that you can't play that steal-the-kill game too often with the same pride

Personally I wouldn't even do it once, but yeah, those cats are not stupid. :D 

• Like 1

These are stunning. What lighting did you use? I assume some sort of flash.

13 minutes ago, waltonksm said:

These are stunning. What lighting did you use? I assume some sort of flash.

Thanks for your kind words! Usage of flash is generally forbidden (exceptions to be discussed with the reserve management). The light you see in the images is from LED lights that are permanently installed at the hides.

Cheers

Chris