crowecg

Rainy Day Walk

I had a couple of hours free on Saturday morning, and took advantage to go for a walk and take some photographs.  Unfortunately it rained, limiting the opportunities, but being Melbourne, the weather changed...

48966346433_e885208039_o.jpg

#1 - Wet Flower 

48966343403_ff2e4acdf9_o.jpg

#2 - Water Drops

48966890771_e1eb68caec_o.jpg

#3 - Bee

48966889941_63625ab986_o.jpg

#4 - Bird by Chris Crowe70, on Flickr

48967065367_6cf70a448d_o.jpg

#5 - Street 

All shot with X-E3 and 55-200.  Reasonably happy with the combination for the close up shots, although I wouldn't mind getting closer.  I really need to make up my mind about how I'm going to get into the macro range with Fuji.  Adding some extension to this lens is a possibility.

• Like 2

Nice work, Chris. Unfortunately I can't be of much assistance on the lens advice front for Fuji. 

Seldom seen or acknowledged, the Zeiss Touit 2,8/50 Makro is perhaps one of my most used lenses (although the Fuji gear is mostly gathering dust these days as I retreat to film again). It's the lens that is always fitted to the camera anyway, and if you can find a second hand one at the right price, then grab it - I reckon you won't be disappointed.

Hand-held focus stack with the Touit (holding breath and using the X-T2's auto focus shift settings):

ksKzUuv.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions.  

I think my problem is not so much lack of options, but perhaps too many. 🤔  I've been through all the pros and cons for each of them and none stand out as a clear winner.  I've got two interests that could use a macro capability - photographing old negatives and "backyard safari" like the pictures above. Technically the 80 stands out, but it is the priciest and looks quite bulky, which somewhat negates the objectives of my move to fuji. The 60 is cheaper and more compact but only goes to 0.5x, the Zeiss betters that and is cheaper than the 80,  but at 50mm focal length, the working distance drops -ok for the negative copying, but not so good for bug hunting.   Extension is cheap, but lacks a little in magnification unless I risk stacking them, but on the 55-200 will give a good working distance.  And the final option is to adapt my old Tamron 90 (Nikon mount), but given that it is over 20 years old, maybe it doesn't match the resolution of the newer lenses.  

I'll be sure to post some examples once I do make up my mind.