Dallas

Olympus E-M5 Mk III

Looks like they make them in plastic only now. :( 

The rest of the spec looks OK, but I am not going to be on the waiting list for one of these. My next body will probably be a Panasonic GH5. 

Here's Robin Wong's impressions. 

The GH5 = video big time. A very good choice I read!

I’m sure you will like it!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Yes, I am now making videos for a client and using my E-M1 originals. Not the most graceful solution in the world, but since I am already invested in MFT lenses, it makes perfect sense to get one of the best video cameras around that can also shoot stills and use all of my lenses. I have been thinking very hard about Sony and Canon, but... either way it's a lot more cost by jumping ship again. The other video option I have considered is the Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K, which also uses MFT mount and costs a lot less than the GH5, but is only good for video (cinematic video really). The GH5 will give me more versatility though. 

• Like 1

I think you are absolutely right. There are a shed load of you tube video’s of the GH5, however the ones by David Thorpe are OK, no histrionics. Another is the Hybrid Shooter an East European from somewhere on the Danube!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

I wish I had a shed ...

53 minutes ago, vivionm said:

I wish I had a shed ...

Put in an offer on this one. My kind of shed...

Mike, I have no doubt that the GH5 is the right camera for me going forward, but they are in very short supply here and as such command a premium. The Olympus E-M1 Mk II is still a contender, but it doesn't have the same high level video features, so... Lumix GH-5 is the standout in the MFT options as far as my needs go. I'll keep my old Olys for stills seeing as I don't stand to get anything for them on the used market. 

• Like 1

Channel four is saying they’ve blocked it in my country! Yah boo sucks!

Mike Gorman

Ah, sorry. It is the latest episode of Grand Designs with Kevin McLoud. Probably blocked because of whatever rights ITV has, etc, etc. Was a good episode! 

GH5 should serve you well, Dallas.  BMPCC 4K looks nice and much cheaper than GH5, but you would need lots of additional parts to make full use of it.

Unlike E-M5 Mk I and II, the new E-M5 Mk III uses the same battery as those for E-M10 series, which may be a nice idea to encourage the existing E-M10 users who already bought spare batteries to upgrade, but the battery life per charge is a little sacrificed, which is not good for the power hungry video use.

Edited by Akira
  • Like 1

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Spot on, Akira. Had they been using the same batteries as the original E-M5 and E-M1 it may have been a contender, purely on price, but that small battery will be an achilles heel for anybody looking to use it professionally. I have to think hard about the GH5 because it's a lot of money for me to outlay right now, plus it will require a computer upgrade too. My old 2012 iMac is battling with editing multicam 1080p in Davinci Resolve, so if I was to shoot 4K I am sure there will be some smoke coming out of it before too long! A new 27" iMac 5K is crazy money here, so I am looking at a 2015 model I can get for about half the price of a new one. I might actually look at building a Hackintosh if I can find all the right parts. 

P.S. sorry about the rugby today. The Blossoms have done themselves proud in this World Cup - I was half expecting them to topple the Boks again, but I think they just ran out of gas at the end. :) 

Dallas, no worry about the rugby!  Being one of the best eight was a big achievement for us.  Leaving some room for the growth is not necessarily a bad thing.  ;)  I wish the victory of the SA team!

By the way, if you still use the lenses for the original 4/3 DSLRs, the new E-M5 Mk III can be (much) better than GH5 at least in terms of AF.  Panasonic has totally ignored the PDAF. so the AF performance of your workhorse lenses will be affected.

Edited by Akira
  • Like 1

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Yesterday's QF is the only game I have watched in the tournament so far, but it's really good to see that other nations are making inroads into the top tiers now. If SA manage to beat Wales we could have a very interesting final against either NZ or England, both of whom we have beaten in World Cup finals before. :) God knows we could use something to cheer about in these parts again, what with the way politicians here have torn our country to shreds...

I don't really use the old 4/3 lenses on anything but safaris these days and in reality I only have the 50-200/2.8-3.5 and an old 50/2.0 macro left. I sold the rest, so all my main lenses will be fine for use on the GH5, should I find myself going that way. 

2 hours ago, Dallas said:

Yesterday's QF is the only game I have watched in the tournament so far, but it's really good to see that other nations are making inroads into the top tiers now. If SA manage to beat Wales we could have a very interesting final against either NZ or England, both of whom we have beaten in World Cup finals before. :) God knows we could use something to cheer about in these parts again, what with the way politicians here have torn our country to shreds...

I don't really use the old 4/3 lenses on anything but safaris these days and in reality I only have the 50-200/2.8-3.5 and an old 50/2.0 macro left. I sold the rest, so all my main lenses will be fine for use on the GH5, should I find myself going that way. 

It’s no good living on past victories, believe me I know!

Mike Gorman

You're right, Mike. I was hoping that Man United would flick Liverpool off theor perch again yesterday, but that little bugger Llalana ruined an otherwise excellent day. :( 

I have a feeling that England may beat the AB's in their semi, but could come up short in the final if they play us. If it's the AB's and the Boks in the final it's going to be very, very close. We've had the measure of them this year, apart from the opener in this tournament. But first Wales... 

• Like 1

It's only a game. Ireland massacred by New Zealand. Sigh.

• Like 1

We won't talk about cricket on the sub continent when it comes to massacres... 

Getting back on topic here, I'm now having a very close look at the G9, which appears to be a fair whack less expensive than the GH5 here. It pretty much offers the kind of video functionality that I need too - studio only. The only thing I might be a little concerned about is the AF should I want to use it as a stills camera. 

So many choices! 

Dallas, take a look at David Thorpe's video re the G9, especially the cars on a suburban road!

Mike Gorman

Thanks Mike. I have watched a few already. To be honest, I don't like this fella's style of video, but I will give him another chance. 

• Like 1