Dallas

Olympus 12-40/2.8 vs 12-100/4.0 - Which One Is Right For You?

Well done Dallas, a good, honest comparison. I'll stick to my 12-40mm, I prefer the extra sharpness and more compact size over the 12-100mm. The 12-40mm is one of the best zooms I've ever used, a fantastic lens.

• Like 1

Thanks Luc. Yes, the 12-40/2.8 is a keeper. The other one is nice to have but it does come with a size and light penalty that may not be something everyone is willing to accept. 

The 12-100 mm is my „luxury travel lens“. 

it is a big and heavy lens and my pen-f is dwarved by it (even though  the tripod adapter makes it a combination easy to hold). iIt is nevertheless the smallest travel kit I owned in years! 

Adding 1 or 2 small prime lenses creates a travel kit that is still considerably smaller than my usual Nikon FX kit. 

Edited by Danulon
  • Like 1

I sold my 12-40 when I purchased my 12-100.  The 12-40 was excellent in every respect, but I found myself really needing the extra reach beyond 40mm more often than not.  The dual-sync IBIS with this lens is nothing short of magical, as I have been able to take 10 second exposures unbraced and handheld, it is that good.  While I agree it is a hair less sharp than the 12-40, for 99% of the time the results are stellar.  Besides, I have the 25mm, 45mm and 75mm f1.8 lenses when I want to get serious about shallow depth of field and sharpness.  You can not go wrong with either of these lenses, as they are both excellent.  I am attaching my proof that 10 seconds handheld is indeed possible with this combination, and I was sitting on the ground but holding the camera in a normal position, plus controlling my breathing.  I took multiple shots, and could hit the 10 second ones 50% of the time, and anything 2 seconds or less at 90% of the time.

Miami Ten Seconds.jpg

• Like 2

That’s an amazing shot there, Greg! 10 seconds handheld? Incredible!

I use the Panasonic G 12-35mm f2.8 and the Panasonic G 35-100mm f2.8 both of those give good sharpness and are light lenses!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Thanks for the comparison.  I had no idea that the 12-100 compared so favorably with the 12-40. Yes, I know you said the 12-40 is superior, but you still give me good reason to travel with the 12-100 and leave the 12-40 behind.  As my shoulders and knees continue to talk to me, the weight saving  becomes more and more important.

I’m currently on holiday in Cape Town and I brought 2 lenses with me; the 12-100/4.0 and the 8-18/2.8-4.0. So far I think they were the right choices. 

This topic reminds me that the MFT system has a multitude of first class optics, that choice becomes quite difficult!

For me it tends to be down to aesthetics as the performance will be very similar!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175