Mike G

OS Catalina

Anyone brave enough to install Catalina yet?

I have and it seems to be OK but of course it's early days yet, but I'm a sucker for a new operating system. 😎

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

I thought Catalinas were flying boats ! .. 😎

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

19 minutes ago, CarreraS said:

I thought Catalinas were flying boats ! .. 😎

They are but I assume Apple’s reference is to a geographical feature or area. 😉

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Hopefully later this week.  I’ve spent the past few weeks preparing for it ( finally extracting the last of my Aperture libraries ).

the Apple reference is to an island off the coast of California.  Not the plane unfortunately, which are fascinating.  I must get round to visiting Australia’s secret flying boat maintenance depot!

As I understand it, the final release isn't out yet. If you download now you're installing the public beta. 

7 hours ago, crowecg said:

Hopefully later this week.  I’ve spent the past few weeks preparing for it ( finally extracting the last of my Aperture libraries ).

the Apple reference is to an island off the coast of California.  Not the plane unfortunately, which are fascinating.  I must get round to visiting Australia’s secret flying boat maintenance depot!

Chris as a past user of Aperture, I can report that finally it won’t run under Catalina.

So you are quite right to extract your stuff before installing!

Mike Gorman

2 hours ago, Dallas said:

As I understand it, the final release isn't out yet. If you download now you're installing the public beta. 

Dallas, I’m sure that’s not right, but hey we’ll see. I didn’t see any indications of the install being a Beta release!

Just checked and I can't see any reference to a Beta installtion, so I don't believe it is a Beta download!

Mike Gorman

I think geography has played a part here. Yesterday evening I looked after you posted this and it was definitely showing me beta status. Today it seems to be a proper release. 

Anyway, as much as I am itching to use Sidecar on my iPad Pro, I think I will wait a few weeks with this. I don't think I will survive production dramas should Adobe not be ready for it yet. 

• Like 1

Dallas show me an OS of any sort that is perfect? you ain’t gonna be able to. If you wait for perfection you’ll be waiting a very long time.

Any bugs will get fixed in time! 

By the way I like the new iPhone, iPad syncing arrangements.

Mike Gorman

6 hours ago, Dallas said:

If you get to the bottom of the page:

Are all of these problems common?

No, these are not commonly encountered issues with MacOS Catalina.

Perhaps the most common issue that may be experienced by users with MacOS Catalina is that some older apps will not work, because of the loss of 32-bit app support. The other issues discussed here are fairly rare.

Mind, I just had one of my kids asking "should I install this update?" five minutes before bed time on a laptop that they need for school in the morning!😱  THey got a definite "NO!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike G said:

Dallas show me an OS of any sort that is perfect? you ain’t gonna be able to. If you wait for perfection you’ll be waiting a very long time.

I don't need to. Experience has taught me that upgrading early is never a good idea.

Experience. No substitute for that. 

59 minutes ago, Dallas said:

I don't need to. Experience has taught me that upgrading early is never a good idea.

Experience. No substitute for that. 

We shall have to agree to disagree!

Mike Gorman

Mike, I'm running a production office on my machines. If I upgrade and discover that one of the esoteric bits of software that I absolutely require to work no longer works, how clever will I be then? This isn't about agreeing to disagree. It's about making sense of a potentially dangerous situation. Knowing Apple the way I do I can almost guarantee that something will stop working. 

I hear you Dallas, how will you know if bit of software won’t work?

I understand and have experienced that 32bit stuff is outa here, but presumedly you already know that, or do I presume too much?

I only regret losing Aperture, anything else I can live easily without!

Mike Gorman

There are a number of plugins for Lightroom that are critical in my work which if they stop working will be disastrous for me. also, in previous "upgrades" by Apple I have discovered  that hardware can stop working too. Example, an expensive Wacom tablet I used to own became useless after an upgrade. I have also had printers stop working. Network devices. And so on. 

Yes, sometimes there are great advances made in software upgrades, like the Apple CarPlay that has just come out with iOS 13, but for the most part I err on the side of caution. Especially where a sudden change in something will render my production system useless. I will probably put this Catalina onto my laptop and see how that system copes with the changes, but I'll likely have to wait until the weekend to do that. 

• Like 1

I ran the install on my MBP this morning and can confirm that one of the critical plugins I use is not compatible with Lightroom anymore. Not sure if the developer even keeps it updated, so a move to this o/s on my iMac is not on the cards for the foreseeable future. Also rather disappointing is the discovery that Sidecar will not work on any of my Macs as they are too old. 

Out of interest, which plugin is that?

I think both Dallas and Mike are correct, it is just that their needs are different.

Like Mike, I have installed Catalina with no problems.  I knew that my old version of Microsoft Office would not work, but as it is years since I paid for that I feel it does not owe me anything.

But if I was running a business on my Mac, I would definitely wait until I was sure that there would be no problems which would interfere with the business.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Out of interest, which plugin is that?

Enfuse.

I see it is open source.  What are the chances it could be updated?

I do not recommend upgrading to Catalina yet. There are bugs with Catalina in addition to some software not being entirely compatible. I expect 15.1 will be out before too long. Developers have already been given beta 1 of 15.1.

• Like 1

I've worked for twenty years in IT, my advice is to always wait when upgrading an operating system. This kind of software is so comprehensive and complex it is bound to contain minor and/or major errors and complications.

Edited by Luc de Schepper
  • Like 1

I gave it a try yesterday.  It gave a clear warning at the start of the process about which 32bit apps were not going to work.  

I haven’t given the computer a good work out to see if there are any other bugs which might affect me.  I don’t have a lot of peripherals attached to my system  - I know such things are often a source of problems for others if new drivers are required.