Dallas

iPhone 11 Pro Max Wide Angle Camera - Sample Image

I happen to be in the vicinity of the new iPhone 11's today (not a planned trip). I took a shot using the 0.5x camera on the flagship camera and Airdropped it to my iPhone 7P. Here is the original file and an HDR made from it using Aurora. 

IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4756_aur.jpeg

For a handheld, it's pretty decent, but it won't be replacing my 6 year old Olympus E-M1's and the lenses I use. Estate Agents will gag at the price, but then they do that over anything that costs more than $100 anyway. :D 

Posted (edited)

Lots of detail smearing if you pixel peep at 100% but the reality is most images are viewed on a smartphone nowadays so not a problem for most people. About real estate photography; the next generation of smartphones will probably feature good enough HDR and keystone correction. Btw; I prefer the more natural looking original over the HDR.

Edited by Luc de Schepper

7 hours ago, Mexecutioner said:

Tempted by the Devil, aren't you Dallas?

Usually, but not this time, Rodrigo. I truly dislike this whole Face ID concept that Apple is forcing on us. I got the iPad Pro 11" and I just can't stand the way I have to crane over all the time to get it to unlock, or I find my hand is blocking the camera and it asks for my code. A totally unnecessary PITA. I'm more likely to get a Huawei than an Apple iPhone if I need to upgrade in the next year or two. But, famous last words you know...

6 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Lots of detail smearing if you pixel peep at 100% but the reality is most images are viewed on a smartphone nowadays so not a problem for most people. About real estate photography; the next generation of smartphones will probably feature good enough HDR and keystone correction. Btw; I prefer the more natural looking original over the HDR.

Yup, as I said in the piece on Computational Photography, the entire RE photography market will probably be run by bots and untrained humans in the near future. As much as I love shooting RE, I am now experiencing a severe dip in the market so I have to focus my efforts elsewhere. Once again video is showing itself to be an area with resilience against the machines taking over. But I need to get much better hardware as I don't want to do it on a phone (as good as they are these days). Currently looking into the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema 4K as a possible option, since I have great lenses for it already, or maybe an older Panasonic GH-4 series. Sony and Canon also make great options but then I will have to buy new glass. 

20 hours ago, Dallas said:

Usually, but not this time, Rodrigo. I truly dislike this whole Face ID concept that Apple is forcing on us. I got the iPad Pro 11" and I just can't stand the way I have to crane over all the time to get it to unlock, or I find my hand is blocking the camera and it asks for my code. A totally unnecessary PITA. I'm more likely to get a Huawei than an Apple iPhone if I need to upgrade in the next year or two. 

This might be something that interests you.  Reading into the details, it sounds like you are not alone.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/03/kuo-iphone-se-2-early-2020/

One big bummer is that the wide angle camera won't allow to access the raw file, unlike the standard and telephoto cameras.  The resulted images look OK in SNS sites, but their sharpening and noise reduction are too much.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

4 hours ago, crowecg said:

This might be something that interests you.  Reading into the details, it sounds like you are not alone.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/03/kuo-iphone-se-2-early-2020/

Hmmm... If they were to make one in Plus size with three cameras it will be my next iPhone because the dual camera on my 7Plus is the best thing about it. I use the 2x view all the time. 

Having recently been exposed to the wonder that is “deepfake” I wonder just how safe Apple are keeping your Face ID from falling into the wrong hands? And if their competitors are copying them, how much emphasis do they place on security? 

Data security is a pliable disclaimer. The very fact that Volkswagen are still allowed to manufacture cars after the emissions scandal leaves me in my default position of trusting no company with anything, especially when big money is involved. 

Anyway, for me the bottom line with Face ID, which Apple obviously never took into account in their quest to make an all screen phone, is that it is much, much easier for me to move my fingers spatially than it is to move my face, ergo the move to this technology is a move backwards as far as convenience goes. And that is a sad thing to attribute to a company that likes to think it is leading the way forward where useful technology is concerned.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dallas said:

Anyway, for me the bottom line with Face ID, which Apple obviously never took into account in their quest to make an all screen phone, is that it is much, much easier for me to move my fingers spatially than it is to move my face, ergo the move to this technology is a move backwards as far as convenience goes. And that is a sad thing to attribute to a company that likes to think it is leading the way forward where useful technology is concerned.

Another area where I see technology for technologies sake rather than being an actual benefit is touch screens in cars.  They usually end up needing to be positioned away from your line of sight out of the car, aren't well shaded from the sun and quickly get covered in dirty fingerprints.  Dedicated buttons that can be found and operated by touch alone are a much better option.

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 1

I agree, Chris. I had a JVC double din touch screen unit installed in my Tucson this year. It is a bit of a distraction and as you rightly say, doesn’t always give you the tactile response you need. Mine had to go back because it just gave too many hassles with Bluetooth connections to my iPhone. The guy I use for these things suggested a CarPlay unit instead, which I reluctantly agreed to. Boy, I am happier than ever with the new one! The CarPlay has now recently been upgraded by Apple and it is much, much better to use than just a few weeks ago. I get a home screen that has a live map, audio controls and a big Home button that I can touch when I need to navigate home. If I had steering controls on the car I could map them to those too but actually don’t need them at all now.

The best part is that this unit has incredible sound controls. I’ve never had a better sounding car system. But now that I am hardly shooting houses anymore it’s not enjoyed as often as before. 😩

The iPhone 11 Pro Max has a tiny sensor with 12 MP.

It costs about the same as the Fuji X100F, which has an APS-C sensor with 24 MP.

The Fuji will not let you call your friends, but it will allow to take much better photos.
My advice? Keep your old phone and use a real camera for your photos.