Nikon D700        DSLR

Nikon D800        DSLR

Nikon D810        DSLR

Fujifilm X-T1                 CSC Mirrorless

Fujifilm X-T2                 CSC Mirrorless

Fujifilm X-H1        CSC Mirrorless

Panasonic G9               mu-43

Panasonic GX8             mu-43

The above above list represents my history of buying cameras and of course some associated lenses. Since it is about a year now since throwing my lot in the mu.43s camp, I am thinking my G9 is the finest camera I have owned in every respect except fo one thing. Which is that the body has suffered from the rubber skin becoming detached at various places, the first G9 was sent back fo repair under warranty, and was supposedly repaired by DK AVS. It was sent back ostensibly repaired, but the camera came back with the same fault plus two fixing screws destroyed. That body was sold and a second body purchased. lo and behold the skin on that camera also started to come adrift, self help with some Loctite super glue has solved that particular problem! 
3DB184F2-2310-4CE0-868D-83AD6B4F2A96.thumb.jpeg.9c8ef2ad826b3e22c8cb2fa7337d18ca.jpeg

But that said it is still a brilliant camera and so far all my lenses seem to be top notch quality. Of all the cameras listed above the only one that comes near in quality is the Canon T90. The speed of operation, controls I have found to be superb. The handling is great, battery life is very good for a mirrorless camera and much better than the Fujifilm equivalent. And so far they have exceeded the quoted capacity. 
The menu system is easy to navigate and logically laid out, at least for me. Like all modern MILC the options  on offer seem vast, but I haven’t handled  a similar body to compare! The obvious comparison is the Olympus OMD 1 Mk2, so if someone has a spare one lying around for me to play with send me a PM!
My second string Lumix GX8 is also a super little camera.
This last year it has been a pleasure to use the G9 camera and at the moment I see no need to change either camera or system, but of course just around the corner there is bound to be a sparkly new camera for me to lust after! An iteration of the G9 would be nice I.e. an evolution of the G9 would be nice and I look forward to seeing it
Sorry this is a bit of a ramble, but thank god for Loctite superglue.
  • Like 2

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Mike, that is an impressive list.

Here's mine:

Canon AE-1 SLR

Canon A-1 SLR

Nikon D70 DSLR

Nikon D200 DSLR

Nikon D300 DSLR

Nikon D700 DSLR

Zeiss Ikon Rangefinder 35 mm film camera

Bronica ETSRi Medium Format film camera

Leica M9 Digital 'full-frame' Rangefinder

Fuji XT-1 CSC mirrorless
Leica Q. Fixed-lens mirrorless 

• Like 1

I wonder if I can remember all the cameras I have owned? Let's try...

Nikon F60

Nikon N8008

Nikon N90

Nikon F5

Nikon F4s

Nikon F3

Nikon F2

Nikon FM2n

Nikon FE2

Nikon D70

Nikon D200

Nikon D2H

Nikon D700 (x2)

Canon D30

Canon D60

Canon F-1

Canon AE1

Canon A1 (x2)

Canon EOS 30 (x2)

Canon EOS 33

Canon EOS 3

Canon EOS 5

Canon EOS 650

Canomatic 

Leica M3

Leica M6

Leica R4

Olympus OM-2n

Olympus OM-D EM-5 

Olympus OM-D E-M1 (x2 and still using 'em)

Olympus PEN EP-1

Olmypus PEN EP-2

Olympus PEN EP-5

Olympus PEN EP-L5

Panasonic GM1

Panasonic GMX

Bronica ETRS

Yashica-A

FED-2

Voigtlander Vito B

Fujica V2

Minolta SRT-101

There have been many other cameras that I have owned briefly only to resell. 

My favourites were the Nikon F2, Leica M3 and of the digital cameras the current Olympus E-M1's have probably been the longest in service and while one has already had a shutter replacement, I can't see a need to upgrade right now. 

The only cameras I am thinking about these days are the Sony A-7R series, but then as I have said before, they may be great but their maker isn't, so I have held off. The thing that I like most about them is the fact that they can use the Canon EF lenses in native mode, meaning that they will meter and auto focus those lenses just as well as a Canon body does. Canon have some excellent lens options for 35mm....

Edited by Dallas
Added Canon EOS 650
  • Like 1

When the Leica Q2 was announced I got sorely tempted, sorely tempted, but then I thought £4500 or so killed that idea. 🙄

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Do I accept the challenge? OK, I'll give it a go...

Childhood/early teenage years:

Kodak Brownie Flash 20 (first camera in 1961)

Leica IIIc (OK, it was my Dad's, but I had full use of it)

and for professional years:

Minolta SRT 101 (for the first year of my tertiary photography course at RMIT Uni, Melbourne, 1971)

Hasselblad 500C/M (for 2nd & 3rd year of the course)

Mamiya M645 (1976)

Olympus OM1 (1981)

Nagaoka 5x4 Field Camera (1982)

Görlitzer Kamera Werke half-plate studio camera (1982, adapted to 5x4)

Mamiya RB67 (1982)

Polaroid MP4 5x4 copy camera & stand (1982)

Toyoview 45A (1986)

Mirai 35mm AF (1989)

Nikon F4 (1993)

Hasselblad 500 EL/M (1996)

Hasselblad 500C/M (1998)

Nikon FE2 (2000)

Nikon D70s (2005)

Nikon D2x (2006)

Nikon D3 (2008)

Mamiya RB & RZ67 (2009)

Nikon D3s (2009)

Nikon D7000 (2010)

Fuji X100 (2011)

Fuji X-Pro1 (2012)

Nikon D600 (2012)

Fuji X-T1 (2014)

Fuji X-T2 (2016)

Sigma DP1 & DP3 Merrill (2017)

Sigma sd Quattro-H (2017)

and for retirement years:

Pentacon F, Praktica LTL (x4),  Zenit E, Olympus OM1 (x2), Minolta SRT101 (x2), Fuji STX-1 35mm film cameras - all from 2017 onward,

Pentacon Six, Kiev-60, ARAX-60 (2018)

Pentacon Six (x2) 2019)

Plus lenses for all, too many to mention or remember.

Note that as a working professional I owned/used just 14 cameras between 1971 and 2005 (= 34 years), and probably half of which were bought second-hand.

With the digital revolution (or 'rip-off', as I prefer to think of it), I used 13 cameras between 2005 and July 2018 (= 13 years), and all of which were bought brand new.

Note also that this also involved selling out of some film systems for more suitable cameras for the work I was doing at the time, and buying back into those systems later for similar reasons, and not because the older one was obsolete. 

With digital it was always to get a more advanced model because the older one was obsolete. That's why I call digital a rip-off. It's also no coincidence that I struggled to break even, let alone run a profit, during the digital years, compared to the film years where I made healthy profits for doing essentially the same work.

After 2005 any film cameras I bought or obtained were for personal use, and more lately for use as teaching aids in a mentoring program I'm running.

• Like 2

Bloody hell Alan, quite a list.

Mike Gorman

We're just rank amateurs. Check out this collection: 

22 minutes ago, Dallas said:

We're just rank amateurs. Check out this collection: 

I would say you are right! It must take years to dust that lot!

Mike Gorman

3 hours ago, Mike G said:

Bloody hell Alan, quite a list.

Indeed, Mike,  but this was my full-time profession for nearly half a Century. :D  When it comes to being a gear-head, cameras aren't my thing, they're just work tools to me (although I admit that with some I do actually enjoy using some of the better designed and/or made equipment). I am definitely not a camera or lens collector, though. If I buy 'em, I use 'em. 

My expenditure on guitars and guitar-related stuff are the things of epic-hobby type proportions that bedevil me as I have never earned a cent from either playing them or selling them, and I always seem to make a substantial loss on selling them as well.

• Like 1

I can empathise.

I just sold a Taylor guitar and a 'Joe Foley' Irish Bouzouki.

2 minutes ago, vivionm said:

I can empathise.

I just sold a Taylor guitar and a 'Joe Foley' Irish Bouzouki.

It hurts, alright.

I'll never sell my Larrivée, however I still smart at being convinced to sell my original 1964 Rose-Morris model 1998 Fireglo Rickenbacker for $240 in 1977 "so we could buy a new couch".

Ouch.

With only around 2000 of that UK-specific model originally made (the one with the 'f' hole & 3 pickups, and contemporary with The Beatles use of the brand), I've seen the odd one or two pop up for sale in more recent times for figures around the $20,000 mark.

• Sad 2

Not too many but here goes ...

Kodak Box Brownie

Halina 135

Praktica Nova 1

Praktica BX20

Praktica BMS

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F

Olympus 3040Z

Canon A520

Nikon D70

Nikon D2Xs

Nikon D3200

Nikon D750

Leica M240

Leica SL601

Leica M6TTL

Leica CL

I still have them all with the exception of the 3040Z (stolen) and A520 donated to a kids charity seeking a camera.

I also have a whole host of 35mm film cameras and lenses that I have been given.

The last 7 on the list are all still regularly used. The D70 is technically usable but the covering has gone sticky.

Still trying.

FZ member Clactonian (aka MikeB ) writes " The D70 is technically usable but the covering has gone sticky. "

I have a Nikon D40 and D200, both of  which now have sticky covers.  New replacements for such covers are virtually unobtainable and the idea of treating the existing covers with something to curb the stickiness may not be too good if it involves dusty substances such as talcum powder or similar.

This must be a common issue for older cameras with rubberised covers.

Has anyone came up with a workable remedy? 

TIA

Edited by Hugh_3170

What can I add to all those various camera Fotozone members remembers (and have bought) only that I have spent over the years too much time, money or expectation for so many different or fine photo equipment. I had hoped that reason will eventually prevail with age but I am still awaiting that will happen!

• Like 2

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Fliickr