Open Club  ·  11 members  ·  Free

YouTube Video Club
Akira

How do you hold the camera in portrait orientation?

Posted (edited)

Irene Rudnyk, female photographer/YouTuber who posts interesting videos of shooting tips from the female points of view.

The topic for this video is, however, about the way to hold the camera in portrait orientation.   I was surprised to realize that she had been criticized for holding the camera "wrongly" with the shutter button down, mainly by the male photographers.  According to her explanation, the reason for her holding the way she does is rather a physical reason.  But I myself have long preferred holding the camera in the same way as she does, even though I'm male (LOL).

In the film days, I loved to use Leica M, and one of the reasons was that it is more comfortable to hold the camera in portrait orientation in this "girly" way.  Now I feel very comfortable to use my Fujifilm X-E3 for the very same reason.

In the early 80's, l saw a picture of Dirk Reinartz, the late VISUM photographer, holding the camera in the same way.  He specialized in the artistic potraiture, and he used Leica M4 and Nikon F2 eyelevel at that time.

The reason for me to hold the camera with the shutter button down is to keep myself as discreet as possible.  I don't do journalism or paparazzi stuff, but I would like to take pictures in rather unobtrusive manner.

Edited by Akira

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

If I'm using the gripped body then I will shoot it normally, but if I have to do portrait orientation without the grip then the shutter is always on the top. Just an old habit, I guess. I have seen a few women shooting this other way, interestingly enough. 

• Like 1

It varies, depending on camera, whether or not I'm crouching etc. etc.

How can you be 'wrong' if you are comfortable and get the shot? Some people need to get a life!

• Like 3

Still trying.

If you're left eye dominant like me, this other way actually might be better as you can still see with your right eye, which is impossible if the camera is covering it. 

4 hours ago, Dallas said:

If you're left eye dominant like me, this other way actually might be better as you can still see with your right eye, which is impossible if the camera is covering it. 

I take your point Dallas, but at the risk of being branded pedantic I cannot see that there is a wrong way to hold a camera. It is as you demonstrate a matter of personal preference depending on several variables, including which eye you favour.

Still trying.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Clactonian said:

It varies, depending on camera, whether or not I'm crouching etc. etc.

How can you be 'wrong' if you are comfortable and get the shot? Some people need to get a life!

I agree.  I'm left-eye dominant, and looking into the viewfinder with one of my eyes while looking at the whole scene with another eye is just beyond me, even if the camera doesn't block the eyesight.  😲

Actually, when I look into the viewfinder with one of my eyes, I always close another eye, exactly as she does.  😀

Edited by Akira

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

I've actually never tried this other way, but with my monovision* optical setup I don't think it would do me any good. 

* I wear a single contact lens in my dominant eye to correct for myopia and I leave the right eye uncorrected to cope with presbyopia. I've been scripted this way for years and it has helped me avoid the use of spectacles of either type while working with cameras. 

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.