faris

Travels through the Silk Road.

Posted (edited)

Hi folks.

Been a while since I posted. We were lucky to have visited various places during this time.

Our most recent journey was in Central Asia. Along the Silk Road.

Ayesha had the Fuji X-H1 while I was carrying my trusted Nikon Df and a pair of simple lenses..the 50/85 f1.8Gs.

Most of the images are with my Nikon.

The Fuji unfortunately took a great fall onto concrete. And just packed up.

Quite a few of these images have been posted in some other forums. Apologies, if you have already seem them. I shall include some new ones here.

A general map of the countries we traveled through....

p3505193403-3.jpg

As can been readily seen from the map, these lovely countries lie within a rough neighborhood; with 3 possessing nuclear weapons; a fourth..well you know;

and the fifth where  a war has been going on years, without end.

The visited countries themselves have various border issues and the crossings can be problematic.

But, invariably, we found each one of them to be the most hospitable, friendly, helpful, safe places we have ever visited. Bar none.

And our tally of countries has crossed a 100.

Remnants of the Soviet occupation is evident, to various degrees, in all countries.

However, they are moving at fast pace to move past the communist effects.

While Ayesha went in search of incomparable architecture, I was in search of names, long lost to history, of the golden age of Islamic science and arts.

Thank you for coming along on this brief journey with us.

Edited by faris

No pictures?

Posted (edited)

Faris, sorry to hear about the fate of your wife's camera.

I have visited Uzbekistan and a little of Kazakhstan in 2006 and I must concurr that the people there were most hospitable, friendly, helpful, and  that these two countries were indeed very safe places to visit.  I would have liked to made it to Baikonur.

I hope that you got to the Observatory of Ulughbek in Samarkand (built by the Islamic mathematician/astronomer Ulughbek, the grandson of the great ruler Temur/Tamerlane.)

Link:

http://www.cosmicelk.net/Ulughbek and his Observatory in Samarkand.pdf

Edited by Hugh_3170

Thanks Dallas, Hugh.

Yes, we did visit the observatory in Samarkand. Remarkable.

I spent more time in Samarkand than originally planned. What a treat for the eyes. The history..before your eyes!

p3504472053-5.jpg

It was not only the craftsmanship and intricacies of the design, but the choice of hues and colors.

Master craftsmanship on show.

Yes, master craftsmanship indeed. I do like the twilight treatment of this image with the blues of the sky and the building complementing each other.

And the influence of the Moorish architects in distant Spain is another testimony to the expertise of those Islamic designers and craftsmen - albeit from a different place and period in history.

23 hours ago, faris said:

I spent more time in Samarkand than originally planned. What a treat for the eyes. The history..before your eyes!

It was not only the craftsmanship and intricacies of the design, but the choice of hues and colors.

Master craftsmanship on show.