Open Club  ·  8 members  ·  Free

Carspotters
HAL

Chrome Roadster

A chrome finish to this roadster. 

Chrome B.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty cool. I wonder, do they dip the whole car shell in the chroming tank or is it some kind of alternative method? 

Great question. The owner was wandering the car show so I didn't have a chance to ask. My thoughts were along the lines of maintenance. Must go through a lot of polish. Also the glare on a sunny day must be a challenge for other drivers. 

Here is an 'Art Car' from the same show. 

Colin Case Racing A.jpg

I am always struck by the difference between car culture in the US and in Europe.

In the US,  you have the whole hot rod scene, with the shoehorning of big engines into old cars, chromed engine parts and, in this case, the entire car being chromed.

In Europe, the emphasis is on restoration to original condition, using genuine original parts as far as possible.

I am not going to comment on the relative merits of both philosophies. But I know which one I prefer.

18 hours ago, Dallas said:

Pretty cool. I wonder, do they dip the whole car shell in the chroming tank or is it some kind of alternative method? 

I believe there was a period in racing when they would just polish up the bare metal - saves a few lbs/kg in weight.

There was. The Mercedes pre-war Grand Prix cars (the 'Silberpfeils'), had unpainted polished aluminium bodies. But were not chromed.

Like this:

29.jpg

• Like 2

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.