For those of you sweating through those Northern Hemisphere summer heatwaves, a little snow from down here.  I had a few days over in New Zealand last week.

48240034647_09aa0df1d9_o.jpg

Double Cone summit above Remarkables Ski Area

48239950631_841ac40b07_o.jpg

Shadow Basin  - I didn't realise at the time, but that flat area in the centre contains a small lake, and I just happened to ski over it!😧

48239955271_c66be7dfbb_o.jpg

Wye Creek valley and mountains beyond the southern limit of the ski area.

48239960626_7ab59f27e0_o.jpg

Looking back into the ski area from the same point as the picture above.

48239965206_c6fb318919_o.jpg

Clouds  I was lucky much of the time that the clouds were either down below or up above or even both at the same time, but quite clear where I was.  As the sun started to drop in the late afternoon, things could look quite dramatic.

48239999816_8a96c72dd7_o.jpg

More Clouds, somehow managing to stay out of the valley!

All shot with X-E3 and 27 f/2.8.  I wanted to keep the set up light and relatively compact to avoid damage - I suspect I may have rolled over it a couple of times😖.  Despite it's small size, I didn't have any problem operating the camera with thin gloves on and could almost get away with it using thicker gloves as long as I just stuck to the main settings.  No problems with the cold, although I would only take a couple of photos before putting the camera back in the bag - it didn't get above 0C most days.

• Like 3

Nice pics, Chris. 

We haven't had too much cold weather in my part of the world this winter. Most days it's about 25˚C. 

Chris, thank you for sharing these cool shots (hope you would tolerate some pun).

Here in Tokyo, we seem to be having somewhat cold summer, but it is humid and uncomfortable enough.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Great shots. My knees have long since stopped my winter sports.

Still trying.

On 10/07/2019 at 21:33, Dallas said:

Nice pics, Chris. 

We haven't had too much cold weather in my part of the world this winter. Most days it's about 25˚C. 

Melbourne has had some cold spells and even got a good dump of snow just before the ski resorts were due to open, but come opening weekend, it rained and washed all the snow away.  As a result we took the opportunity to explore a little further afield.  

Thanks to everyone else who has looked or commented.  Akira, you'll be happy to know the X-E3 performed well in the cold.

Posted (edited)

Also having a bit of a play with video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EfBV0s_fZr0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/EfBV0s_fZr0

shot on a GoPro attached with to a chest harness. (full size is 720p)

Edited by crowecg

I've added some more video here.  I haven't really played with video for a long time.  I put together a few home movies of the kids when they where small and video cameras ran tapes!  I think I need a few upgrades if I'm going to play with it again,  both in terms of storage and the speed of my internet connection.  Upload of the longer video ( approx 15 min) took a few hours and that was only 720p.  I'd hate to try uploading 4K video.

Oh my, you wouldn't catch me doing that... no, no...no thanks...

On 14/07/2019 at 12:09, crowecg said:

Also having a bit of a play with video.

Philistine!!!

🤣🤣

• Like 1

Still trying.

6 hours ago, Clactonian said:

Philistine!!!

🤣🤣

Perhaps I would be better describing it as 50fps burst mode.😉

• Like 1
  • Happy 1
  • LOL 2

With regard to my 50fps slide show, so far I’ve just uploaded the ‘out of camera’ footage.  I’ve probably got enough clips to put together a bit of a story, but I think with video, I’m even more concerned about creating a cliched and amateur look.   Editing tools are not a technical limitation, but avoiding the gimmicky options available such as inappropriate or tacky transitions is.  The other challenge is soundtrack.  In the past when I was sharing DVDs of my videos with a few family members, you could get away with ‘borrowing’ commercial music, things like splicing clips of the kids learning to ride to Queen playing ‘Bicycle Race’.  I’m not sure what sort of music skiing fits to at the moment even before searching for free sound loops.

I wish you every success with video.

It is a medium I know nothing about.

For me, photography is all about freezing the moment.

• Like 1