waltonksm

Some more "macro" shots with a long lens

Posted (edited)

Here are some tufted fleabanes taken with my 100-400 Leica/Panasonic lens.  I was researching the name, and found an explanation that claims to have the right word etymology:  A "bane" is a poison, so this flower (or the plant?) is toxic to fleas.  I have no fleas on me, so maybe it works☺️ I also included a macro shots.  I find the shadows cast on the petals a nice plus.  This is a fairly common tundra plant in our area.

Tufted Fleabane

Tufted Fleabane

Tufted Fleabane

Edited by waltonksm
spell correction
  • Like 2

I have been considering this lens as a possible permanent safari companion as opposed to the Olympus 300/4.0 PRO. I see it is definitely a contender! 

Dallas: 

I have to admit that EVERY long lens I have ever purchased (especially the zooms) has been a disappointment to me. This one is no exception.  I also have learned by now that it seems you have to study and "learn" each new lens.  Years ago i owned the 80-400 Nikkor (version 1).  I hated the results.  I was convinced I would sell it; but I  finally decided to read more reviews and see where I might have gone wrong.  And I kept the lens until I started using other lenses much more than the 80-400.  Frankly, it was a SUPERB lens. 

This one is still a work in progress.  I do not like very much of what I have gotten so far.  I think I need more stability (maybe even a tripod?!) for many of my shots.  I have gone to higher ISO's, and faster shutter speeds.  This seems to help quite a bit.

I think this is a tough lens to use, but the lens is a lot more capable than I at this point. I am not quite ready to put it on the market.

• Like 1

I have an inkling that certain MFT lenses do better on their own bodies than on others. There's a very well known nature photographer here in SA named Roger De La Harpe and he is a recent adoptee of MFT in the Panasonic camp. He has been using this lens and he swears it is fantastic. This is coming from a guy who has countless books published and a huge library of African Images taken with just about every huge lens known to photographers.