Dallas

Swimming Pigs

Not from the recent Fotozones Safari, but rather from a boat ride I took yesterday up in St. Lucia Wetlands. I took my wife there for a night away and we did a boat ride on the river (the exact same boat that our 2009 safari took). I had my Olympus E-M1 and 12-100/4.0 PRO on hand to photograph a few of the bloated residents. 

DALL0051.jpg

DALL0055.jpg

DALL0078.jpg

DALL0118.jpg

• Like 3

They don't look too friendly.

Still trying.

Apparently Hippos are the most dangerous mammal in Africa - even worse than the big cats.

Indeed. They are responsible for more human deaths than any other animal found in Africa (apart from the anopheles mosquito). They are capable of running at 45kmh and being as short tempered as they are if they see you as a threat they will trample you to death. Or capsize your boat and drown you. In the town of St. Lucia there are signs all around warning residents about the hippos who often pass through the streets at night to find fresh grazing areas. Nasty beasts.

I still find the somewhat cute, the babies are adorable. A few years back there was a newborn at the LA zoo and I went to see it. Had a few shots of him nursing underwater. I do have a lot of respect for them.

Yip, all babies are cue, but the most adorable are the baby rhinos. They almost behave like puppies. We were fortunate enough to encounter a "few days old" calf and her mother on our recent safari. I will probably post some pics of that one tomorrow. 

Fun shots. Hippos are goofy looking, and if I did not know better they would seem to be the timid kind (guess not).

Not saying that you should necessarily try this, but getting one to charge towards the camera would be a great shot. You could have a getaway vehicle all ready to go. :)

21 minutes ago, GB111 said:

getting one to charge towards the camera would be a great shot

😧 Would probably be the last thing I photographed!