Alan7140

Why I like film

I'm so glad I've returned to film, perhaps yesterday provided the clearest explanation to me for this yet.

I had modified my adapted lens hood for the Carl Zeiss Jena 4/50 Flektogon that had been vignetting, and with one frame left on the film I walked 1km from where I was parked, saw the scene below, took just that one last exposure, and returned to the car for the drive home. When you do this, and the shot turns out exactly as you envisioned, there is way more sense of accomplishment and satisfaction than finding the shot in a cluster of dozens of digital files that you bashed off to "make sure" that you had the shot (not to mention not knowing that I'd also defeated the vignetting until I'd processed the film - although that was a result of a camera limitation as the Pentacon only shows 51x51mm of the 55x55mm image in the viewfinder).

4oyw5aW.jpg

I guess that's it for digital and I for good - I can hardly remember the last time I got real satisfaction from a digital shoot like I got from this shot.

• Like 2

And when happens the opposite? After you process the film and it is not what you had in mind?

Nice picture.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, atpaula said:

And when happens the opposite? After you process the film and it is not what you had in mind?

Nice picture.

Disappointment is part of the real thrill of shooting film, so far as I remember...

Edited by Akira

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Posted (edited)

All I can say is that I've been back on the film trails for well over a year now, and I have yet to be disappointed with any of the results, save when there has been gear failure (which is only to be expected - all my cameras are over 30 years old).

I think that this is due to the fact that I am forced to carefully consider every shot before pushing the shutter button - film is a tangible expense, for the Pentacon Six it is around AUD $1.00 every time the shutter fires.

So in the 12 exposures of my last film I considered six of the shots worth posting on various forums and social media. Six out of twelve shots in total. 

A full day's shoot in just 12 shots.

Not many digital sessions would result in that sort of a ratio. 

Edited by Alan7140