Dallas

Gear, Pics & Stories From Fotozones Wildlife Safari 2019

Needed Big Bertha for this one. (Back light + Long ways) Down by the water hole!baboon.thumb.jpg.2b2abb90fedf4ab9c295e6b4de6836e9.jpg

• Like 1

One of my favourite animals to photograph are wildebeests. They are often considered to be one of the ugliest animals in the bush, but I love them. This shot I am really happy with as they seldom look you in the eye - they are extremely skittish around humans. This with the Olympus E-M1X and 300/4.0 PRO. 

48231312306_3f806248f4_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Applaud 1

Here's one from the same sighting taken with the older E-M1 and Olympus 12-100/4.0 PRO. As mentioned already this is a really handy lens to take on safari. 

48231436202_f2ac881ffd_o.jpg

• Like 2

Last one for today. This is a hyena shot at 06:30 (pre sunrise) with the Olympus 12-100mm f/4.0 PRO and the original E-M1 which I allow ISO to auto float up to 12800. This shot was done at ISO 10k and I did some Lightroom selective brush adjustments of noise removal around the subject. I set the noise reduction to 50 and also did some negative clarity (-29) as well as negative texture (-40). This wouldn't print so well, but for use on the web (99.999% of my requirements) it ain't half bad for an MFT camera from 2014. 

48231777552_37087bfab8_o.jpg

• Like 2

So even the big cats like to smooch?  :D

Time for some zeBras! Here in Africa we call them zeb-rahs, so I had to issue some corrective elocution to some of our guests. :D 

This little colt stood there posing like this for about a minute. Very considerate animal. He'll either go far in life or get eaten because of his curiosity. 

48238549931_df1269ab9b_o.jpg

Then a mother and smaller colt.

48239125802_3631c03da9_o.jpg

48239143847_7cccace4d8_o.jpg

• Like 3

rumbler1.thumb.jpg.14005985f6a0ea4ae45f0fc820f8becd.jpgMexican standoff! Southern Pride Top Female vs Hyena Clan!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rbeesonjr said:

Wwait.thumb.jpg.08b7de210677e242804ba04b3f848173.jpgWaiting for his kill!!!

• Like 2

Bob, something has gone wrong with this link.  I get a "404 Error Not Found"  message when I click on it.

Thank you to yourself, Dallas and the other participants for your 2019 Safari posts which I am enjoying a lot - sounds like you all have had a good trip.

On 10/07/2019 at 09:48, rbeesonjr said:

DSC_2913.thumb.jpg.7eb6efb66593a9d6839de3367f958a42.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Hugh. I am still editing the photos from the safari, so expect many more to appear on this thread in the days ahead. 

I still need to write up my impressions of the E-M1X. Not easy when you don't have the camera in front of you, but I think I made enough notes to form an opinion. :) 

For now here are a few more shots from the safari. 

48239165557_9b03158be6_o.jpg

We encountered these male elephant mates having a spat while on our way to look for a leopard with cubs in the south of the reserve. They blocked the road for a while before the one furthest from us moved out of the line of fire from his "friend". 

48239100016_1dd17817bd_o.jpg

I don't usually photograph the antelopes, but this male kudu made for a decent subject. 

48239132456_664cdea3d0_o.jpg

We didn't find the leopard in the south so we went to the watering hole near Earth Lodge and looked at some hippos. While there I saw this terrapin clinging onto this piece of submerged tree. He fell off shortly afterwards. :) 

• Like 1

I'm not particularly enamoured with the Cape Buffalo (one of the Big 5), but this time around using the Olympus 300/4.0 PRO I actually managed to see them a little differently and got some half-decent images. 

48239231002_47237de0fd_o.jpg

48239161096_90456e307f_o.jpg

Really happy with the backlighting on this one!

48239187286_6a72b9aa23_o.jpg

48239202246_da08c362e5_o.jpg

48239304242_9c483c32bf_o.jpg

48239224756_11e37b9516_o.jpg

The weirdest animals in the park! 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Here's a kudu having a drink.

48239177701_47f0701040_o.jpg

Getting creative (this took about 10 goes before I got something I was happy to show - not that easy on a dirt road). 

48239325292_34a1e03c6a_o.jpg

Found you!

48239248571_3b659ca1e7_o.jpg

Dwarf mongooses.

48239276511_a20106a187_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Applaud 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dallas
      Durban recently hosted its 10th annual Durban International Blues Festival at the lively Zack’s Wilson’s Wharf venue on the Bay. I’ve been fortunate enough to photograph the Fender evening on a few occasions, but this year it was extra special because my son and his Rock Academy band were one of the acts. They played 2 numbers on the night, namely “House Of The Rising Sun” by the Animals and “Before You Accuse Me” by Eric Clapton (I think he wrote it?). Very proud moment for me. Sometimes I find myself living vicariously… not such a bad thing coz I sure as hell wouldn’t ever have the nerve to get up on a stage in front of a lot of people and entertain them. No sir. I gots me some issues with stage confidence.

I love photographing bands and performers though. Over the years I have accumulated quite a few images of artists who played on various stages. I’d love to put on an exhibition of these works someday. Photographing live music is not easy, but I have managed to perfect my own method which sort of comes naturally to me. A lot of photographers struggle with things like metering methods, colour balance, auto focus and whatever else the camera battles with when left to its own devices. I’ve come to know my cameras over the years, wringing the best out of them wherever possible and recently with my move to the Olympus micro four thirds system I find I am just getting better and better shots as the technology improves. The things I lean on are the new fast lenses that the smaller m43 format has brought us, in particular the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, the ability to shoot at high ISO and get a usable image and image stabilisation. Without those three elements you’re going to be in for a lot of disappointment as far as shot quality goes (and I’m seeing that evident in the work of others who cover the same events I do).

That said, there’s also a lot to be said for personal experience. I recently discovered something that the Olympus cameras do that kind of makes low light photography a lot easier. On the Olympus bodies you’ll find this thing called a Shadow Spot Meter. I accidentally activated this while on safari recently while we were photographing this pack of stinky hyenas at Sabi Sabi. It was night time and the only lights we had on the scene were the spotlights that the trackers use. I usually auto float my ISO values between 100 and 8000 on the Olympus E-M1 but I couldn’t understand why I was getting decent exposures at low ISO values of 400 and sometimes even 200 in such dim conditions. It didn’t make sense to me, yet there I was looking at these great shots on the back of the camera and zoomed in at pixel level I had hardly any noise. So I tried using that metering method on the stage at this years festival and it worked well there too. Yes, the rest of the scene goes quite dark, but your subject gets just the right amount of exposure if you’re looking for that low key, moody look. Just so happens that I like that. A lot. See if you can pick out which of these shots got the shadow spot treatment.

My boy playing a Fender Telecaster (he usually plays a Charvel, but with it being a Fender evening he was handed this job and got on with it.

Their lead guitarist, Rorke.

16-year-old Cyndi didn't get the memo about it being a Fender evening (nice Guild though)

My buddy Reg (also a photographer) and Roland

Sadly I do not know what this fellas name is. But he sure could sing them blues.

Eloise, awesome vocalist and vocals tutor.

My good friend and all round good guy, John.

From Chicago, USA Mr. Charlie Rose, singer of the blues.

Reg's very talented son, Rowan Stuart. Look him up on iTunes.

Another multi-talented guy, Andy Turrell (former drummer for Dan Patlansky).

View full article
    • By Dallas
      Durban recently hosted its 10th annual Durban International Blues Festival at the lively Zack’s Wilson’s Wharf venue on the Bay. I’ve been fortunate enough to photograph the Fender evening on a few occasions, but this year it was extra special because my son and his Rock Academy band were one of the acts. They played 2 numbers on the night, namely “House Of The Rising Sun” by the Animals and “Before You Accuse Me” by Eric Clapton (I think he wrote it?). Very proud moment for me. Sometimes I find myself living vicariously… not such a bad thing coz I sure as hell wouldn’t ever have the nerve to get up on a stage in front of a lot of people and entertain them. No sir. I gots me some issues with stage confidence.

I love photographing bands and performers though. Over the years I have accumulated quite a few images of artists who played on various stages. I’d love to put on an exhibition of these works someday. Photographing live music is not easy, but I have managed to perfect my own method which sort of comes naturally to me. A lot of photographers struggle with things like metering methods, colour balance, auto focus and whatever else the camera battles with when left to its own devices. I’ve come to know my cameras over the years, wringing the best out of them wherever possible and recently with my move to the Olympus micro four thirds system I find I am just getting better and better shots as the technology improves. The things I lean on are the new fast lenses that the smaller m43 format has brought us, in particular the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, the ability to shoot at high ISO and get a usable image and image stabilisation. Without those three elements you’re going to be in for a lot of disappointment as far as shot quality goes (and I’m seeing that evident in the work of others who cover the same events I do).

That said, there’s also a lot to be said for personal experience. I recently discovered something that the Olympus cameras do that kind of makes low light photography a lot easier. On the Olympus bodies you’ll find this thing called a Shadow Spot Meter. I accidentally activated this while on safari recently while we were photographing this pack of stinky hyenas at Sabi Sabi. It was night time and the only lights we had on the scene were the spotlights that the trackers use. I usually auto float my ISO values between 100 and 8000 on the Olympus E-M1 but I couldn’t understand why I was getting decent exposures at low ISO values of 400 and sometimes even 200 in such dim conditions. It didn’t make sense to me, yet there I was looking at these great shots on the back of the camera and zoomed in at pixel level I had hardly any noise. So I tried using that metering method on the stage at this years festival and it worked well there too. Yes, the rest of the scene goes quite dark, but your subject gets just the right amount of exposure if you’re looking for that low key, moody look. Just so happens that I like that. A lot. See if you can pick out which of these shots got the shadow spot treatment.

My boy playing a Fender Telecaster (he usually plays a Charvel, but with it being a Fender evening he was handed this job and got on with it.

Their lead guitarist, Rorke.

16-year-old Cyndi didn't get the memo about it being a Fender evening (nice Guild though)

My buddy Reg (also a photographer) and Roland

Sadly I do not know what this fellas name is. But he sure could sing them blues.

Eloise, awesome vocalist and vocals tutor.

My good friend and all round good guy, John.

From Chicago, USA Mr. Charlie Rose, singer of the blues.

Reg's very talented son, Rowan Stuart. Look him up on iTunes.

Another multi-talented guy, Andy Turrell (former drummer for Dan Patlansky).
    • By waltonksm
      I am contemplating the purchase of an MFT Olympus 8mm F3.5.  I am thinking about a used one that does not cost and arm and a leg.  Dallas had a few comments to make about the 8mm F1.8.... but I find very little about the 8mm F3.5 beyond the initial Olympus announcement when it was introduced. Also, it appears to no longer be in the Olympus "stable."

Can anyone give me any insights?  Perhaps the fact it is discontinued is the best indicator. BUT, it still demands a fairly high price on eBay (for whatever that is worth.)
    • By Hugh_3170
      This anticipated new model in the Olympus E-M1 line up has been released.

Some links:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-initial-review

https://www.olympus.com.au/product/dslr/em1mk3/index.html

It will be interesting to see how this new comer stacks up against its predecessors, especially in the stills IQ department.

(Meanwhile Nikon have released their new D6 - in good time for the summer Olympics in Tokyo later this year.)

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.