crowecg

To and From the Shrine

Posted (edited)

Whilst scouting out the barracks (see here if you are wondering why), I thought I'd better get some other photos too, so as not to look too suspicious.😎

48071631821_f4a024680c_o.jpg

DSCF4353 

This is Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance.  For all the tall buildings visible from here, planning restrictions prevent towers from as much as casting a shadow across this view.

48071724087_baecc8cd5d_o.jpg

DSCF4364 

And closer.  Then turning around ....

48071733317_85b0b5c5d0_o.jpg

DSCF4361 

48071625026_321d878f62_o.jpg

DSCF4367 

Shot with Fuji X-E3 and 27 f/2.8 or 55-200.

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 2

The Shrine's construction was overseen by SirJohn Monash, the former WW1 General that master minded the allied victory at the battle of Hamel and who introduced properly coordinated planning and modern military strategy to the allied war effort.

As an engineer he set up the State Electricity Commission of Victoria just after WW1 and in his early engineering career was the first civil engineer to use prestressed concrete beams in the southern hemishphere.  These beams were used in bridges that are still in service today.

These are terrific, Chris. I really like the last one. who's face is that in the design of that one building's cladding?

Posted (edited)

Not meaning to sound repetitive, but that skyline is totally unrecognisable as being the same city I grew up, lived and worked in between 1964 and 1995.

Edited by Alan7140

4 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Not meaning to sound repetitive, but that skyline is totally unrecognisable as being the same city I grew up, lived and worked in between 1964 and 1995.

I would guess that when I first arrived just over 15 years ago, there would have been only a few exceeding the Cathedral spire.  I'll have to revisit my photos and find some more old skylines.

5 hours ago, Dallas said:

These are terrific, Chris. I really like the last one. who's face is that in the design of that one building's cladding?

The building is Swanston Square on the old brewery site.  The internet tells me the face is William Barrak, a significant Aboriginal figure from early Melbourne.

These are the first few shots that I've bothered adding a little sharpening and clarity to since going Fuji.  Normally, I haven't needed anything of the sort, but the lighting was a bit soft - only just after sunrise with an overcast sky.

And Hugh, there is something about civil engineers! 😉

Well Chris - I would have to agree as my eldest daughter and her husband are both working in the civil engineering space.  I also worked for 17 years in the State Electricity Commission ofVictoria before the idiot politicians privatised it and the gas utility under the specious pretence that their actions would lead to lower energy prices , so that that also colours my outlook somewhat.

I never tire of the view portrayed in your shrine images looking northwards up St Kilda Road to the city.  It is somehow as if the shrine is looking after its city. Thanks for these.

20 minutes ago, crowecg said:

And Hugh, there is something about civil engineers! 😉

Interestingly, the Shrine looks like our National Diet Building in Tokyo.

The third image looks nice and interesting, especially the building with a man's face.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

On 17/06/2019 at 16:02, Alan7140 said:

This showed up in my Facebook feed today

http://citycollection.melbourne.vic.gov.au/book-a-negative-a12-princes-bridge-station/

perhaps more like what you remember!

6 hours ago, crowecg said:

This showed up in my Facebook feed today

http://citycollection.melbourne.vic.gov.au/book-a-negative-a12-princes-bridge-station/

perhaps more like what you remember!

A bit before my time - the Gas & Fuel Corp buildings blocked the view of St Paul's and almost everything behind from the mid '60's through to them being demolished for Federation Square, which was finished in 2002, I think. They were the feature in the view from the south throughout most of my time in Melbourne, and were still there when I left. This is closer to what I saw coming in from the south:

b3911340d8a6d23542aa884edf82cb37.jpg

• Like 1

Gosh Alan, well I remember these two towers. 

I attended several meetings in them to do with digital mapping work that the old SECV was getting into in the late 1970s/early 1980s in conjunction with the Gas & Fuel Corporation, MMBW, and the Victorian Titles Office.  Also the Australian Army.  Funny what memories a photo can trigger.

I have vague memories of them under construction, but wasn't truly aware of them until they had been standing a while when I started a daily trip into RMIT in 1971. By tram or by train I passed directly by them, either in a tram or exiting/entering Flinders St Station.

They would certainly have dominated the view from the Barrack roof!

They certainly would have dominated the view - for myself I was not that sorry to see them come down.