Dallas

Anybody Get An iPad pro?

I'm thinking of getting an iPad again, but there are so many of these things on the market these days that making a decision on which one to get is becoming a little tricky. I believe that with the new iPadOS you will be able to use a normal mouse, so it will become a lot more like a laptop in the future. Plus the ability to attach external storage via USB-C is also going to be possible, so the laptop may become passé soon. I had a look at the 12.9" Pro today and it's probably a bit too big for my intended purposes, so the 11" is the likelier candidate if I did follow this route. 

Has anybody got one? What are your thoughts? 

I think a lot of the iPad Pro features are now available on the lower cost iPads too nowadays.  You can even use the first generation apple pencil.  Unless you really need the screen size or the processing power, take a look at the rest of the range too.  Unless, of course, come September, some of the new OS features are indeed restricted to the iPad Pro.

I looked at them all in the iStore yesterday. The lower end ones look ok, but I don't think they can cope with any heavy computing, like editing. According to some of the write-ups I have read the Pro versions are more powerful than the MacBooks these days. The only thing is they become pretty much a cloud computing device, because even if you can plug in external drives you can't ingest an entire SD card to the local storage and then drop those files into the external drive. I have, however seen a video recently where there is a wifi device you can buy that does allow you to do that. Wish I could remember what it was... 

Found it (YouTube history is a good thing)...

This is a pretty incredible device (the Rav power thing). 

If you are after heavy processing, be careful of relying on some of the cross platform benchmarks.  Some of them don’t run long enough to thermally stress the processors.  You will probably find that the fanless processors in the iPad will throttle back earlier than a laptop.

Dallas:

I got one 2 weeks ago and I like it a lot. I am looking forward to iPad OS and the ability to backup photos in the field without taking my laptop. I bought the 11" with 512GB storage. I went back and forth with the size and I am glad I decided on the 11" it is in the sweet spot for me.

Main factor for me to get the Pro version was not only speed (it is quite fast) but the USB-C port. I am trying to standardize everything to use this type of port natively. I also didn't want to get stuck at 256GB only and only the pros offer larger capacity.

Main use is to use Capture Pilot to verify focus, adjust settings and to trigger the camera. the new backup capabilities and the possibility of using it as a small Wacom Cintiq tablet with OS Catalina will greatly enhance its usefulness.

The screen on the 12.9" is lovely but it is a heavier device than i would like to be holding for extended periods of time while reading, etc. Handling them at the store made this obvious for me. Its an adequate size for reading magazines and books as well.

I think you will enjoy it. These days it is much more than a toy.

• Like 1

I'm also looking at iPad Pro after I realize the much improved accessibility to the files in the up-and-coming iPadOS.

Currently, I use iPhone SE and 11" MacBook Air for my mobile computing, and want to merge the two gadget into one with larger screen.  iPad Pro is expensive, but much cheaper than upgrading both iPhone SE and MBA to respective successors.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

9 hours ago, Mexecutioner said:

Dallas:

I got one 2 weeks ago and I like it a lot. I am looking forward to iPad OS and the ability to backup photos in the field without taking my laptop. I bought the 11" with 512GB storage. I went back and forth with the size and I am glad I decided on the 11" it is in the sweet spot for me.

Main factor for me to get the Pro version was not only speed (it is quite fast) but the USB-C port. I am trying to standardize everything to use this type of port natively. I also didn't want to get stuck at 256GB only and only the pros offer larger capacity.

Main use is to use Capture Pilot to verify focus, adjust settings and to trigger the camera. the new backup capabilities and the possibility of using it as a small Wacom Cintiq tablet with OS Catalina will greatly enhance its usefulness.

The screen on the 12.9" is lovely but it is a heavier device than i would like to be holding for extended periods of time while reading, etc. Handling them at the store made this obvious for me. Its an adequate size for reading magazines and books as well.

I think you will enjoy it. These days it is much more than a toy.

Thanks very much for your insights, Rodrigo. It makes a lot of sense to get the 11" instead of the 12,9". 

I'm also looking for something to use as a remote for the kind of work I am going to be moving into this year, namely hospitality establishments where HDR isn't quite the ticket. I will need to light a room with mobile flash and remotely fire the camera, as well as inspect the images as I am doing it, so the device needs to have a great screen as well as not be too cumbersome. 

It looks like instead of getting a new phone for my upgrade I will get this device instead, but I don't think I will be able to afford the 512GB, so a 256GB seems most probable. 

Well, I did it this morning. New iPad Pro 11" entry level machine is mine. 😬 I was initially going to buy the cheapest iPad 9.7" but then something in me said "stop settling for less". I looked at a few of my RE photos on my website on the store demo and they just popped right out at me (and the sales assistant). I couldn't see myself saving the money on the cheaper iPad, so now I have the Pro. Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. Savings be damned... 

I won't be getting the keyboard case but I might get the pencil at some point in the future. 

• Like 1

Dallas, hopefully your sparkly new iPad has a retina screen? And of course you can use Lightroom on the iPad which does have some editing functions built in, which I find sufficient for my needs. Plus you can sync a desktop with an iPad and an iPhone simultaneously!

I find I can edit reasonably on my iPad Mini, but a bigger screen will be nicer. 

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Dallas, hopefully your sparkly new iPad has a retina screen?

Yep. Top of the line screen, which was the big decider for me. Photos on it look incredible, plus the auto colour feature is amazing. The screen adapts to the ambient lighting conditions you’re viewing it in, so always optimal. The sound quality is also really, really nice. 

• Like 1

You can also use the iPad for illuminating slides and negatives if you have a need to copy them onto digital.

Edited by Hugh_3170

With regard to the Ravpower file hub can it transfer files to an iMac desktop?

Mike Gorman

3 minutes ago, Mike G said:

With regard to the Ravpower file hub can it transfer files to an iMac desktop?

I think there would have to be a desktop version of the app that is used to be able to do that. However, if it is set up like a mini NAS broadcasting its own SSID then maybe it would be a simple case of connecting to that network on a desktop Mac and then hoping that the volumes attached are shared with the network and can be read. 

Having done some internet research of this gizmo, it seems that it is slow due to using a USB 2 connection, and no desktop app!

So and at nearly £60, I shall pass on this one. Needs an update methinks.

Mike Gorman

Seemed fast enough in the video. I think it also depends on the speed of the WiFi signal available in some parts (ie, 2.4GHz vs 5GHz). Some countries don’t allow the 5GHz band to be used. But yes, USB 2 will be slow also. 

• Like 1