Dallas

What's Tim Cooking?

So the new Mac Pro and Apple Display were presented at Apple's WWDC19 the other day. I just saw the price of the Apple Display and it's (sold separately) stand and realised that these, along with the iMac Pro are items I will never be able to own, unless there is some seismic shift in the way my life works. To put it into perspective, the screen costs more than the 2007 Hyundai Tucson I bought in December. That is after I put a new engine in it. How is it possible that a mass produced item like a computer can cost so much? Are Apple trying to push the boundaries of what people are prepared to pay for technology? 

Granted this is a super-computer that is designed to handle massive processing for creative purposes, but it's still a computer. Would love to see how quickly it burns through some of the HDR batches I do for my RE work. My current iMac (2012) takes about 25 minutes to push through twenty 3-frame stacks in Enfuse (a plugin I use for my work). 

I believe the combo of computer, screen and stand is the best part of £10,000, which I find incredible. As you say it would be nice to see a real world test of speed!

I’m sure Steve Jobs would not have agreed to this outrageous pricing

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

I have noticed that there is a definite shift towards more premium pricing these days. That new trackpad and wireless keyboard are crazy expensive. I recently bought an Apple TV4K on a special but it too is almost half the price of a 49" Smart TV these days! However, that said I must admit that it is a pretty sweet device and I am very happy with it. 

Good luck to them if they can sell these products at a profit.

They make lots of other products which are much better value for money.

I have looked at the latest trackpad and keyboard (they came bundled with Mrs A's recent iMac) and decided that I will not buy them as they do not add to what I have.  If they had been cheaper I might have bought them.  Apple has lost out on a sale to me, but maybe profited from others who take a different view.   It will be interesting to see how their strategy succeeds.

• Like 2

Occasionally they seem to realise that not everyone is going to buy an overpriced premium product.  Their current iPad line seems to have got the message, but their iPhone line missed the boat when they dropped the SE.  As for computers?🤪

I'm sitting with a small problem right now in that my cellphone contract is up and there isn't an iPhone available to me that I am prepared to upgrade to. My provider doesn't offer the iPhone 8 Plus, which was the next logical step from my 7 Plus. The iPhone X, which they do offer, is one of the dumbest designs I have ever seen and for my purposes (as I have explained in older threads) would be entirely non-functional mainly because of the face recognition "feature" and the fact that if I have it mounted on my windshield it will be permanently on as it will see my face constantly while I am driving. Also, the XR phone only has the single rear camera, which is a step backwards from the 7P, so that one is out. The XS models are also stupidly overpriced, so they don't pass muster either (not that they would be functional).

It's quite sad when function follows form instead of the other way around. 

1 hour ago, Dallas said:

I'm sitting with a small problem right now in that my cellphone contract is up and there isn't an iPhone available to me that I am prepared to upgrade to.

Can you just stick with your current plan (less the phone payments) and keep using your 7plus?

Posted (edited)

About smartphone choices, I've bought a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 128gb on-line for just €285 as a replacement for my iPhone 6. The Poco arrived yesterday afternoon, as I'm new to Android it took me a few (midnight) hours to migrate and get used to it. But so far I like Android and the F1 a lot and that Poco is amazing value for money. Even my wife likes the Poco, she is a real smartphone power user and always uses the latest models, currently a Huawei. Next step is to choose a non-Apple successor for my old MacBook. For me Apple has lost its glory and doesn't have enough advantages any more to justify the high price tag.

Edited by Luc de Schepper

4 hours ago, crowecg said:

Can you just stick with your current plan (less the phone payments) and keep using your 7plus?

Yes, that's on the cards given the current choice dilemma, Chris. Although I do want to give the 7P to my wife as her old 5S is only just hanging on. I might actually just buy a second hand 7P if one comes around. 

2 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

About smartphone choices, I've bought a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 128gb on-line for just €285 as a replacement for my iPhone 6. The Poco arrived yesterday afternoon, as I'm new to Android it took me a few (midnight) hours to migrate and get used to it. But so far I like Android and the F1 a lot and that Poco is amazing value for money. Even my wife likes the Poco, she is a real smartphone power user and always uses the latest models, currently a Huawei. Next step is to choose a non-Apple successor for my old MacBook. For me Apple has lost its glory and doesn't have enough advantages any more to justify the high price tag.

Very interesting, Luc. this is the second time today that I have read about these Xiaomi phones being excellent (on my local avforum a user was extolling how good it is and somebody else chimed in to back up what he said).

I had an Android phone from Sony a few years ago. I liked it at first but then it got so slow that it became unusable and the battery died even before a year was up. The problem with Chinese phones right now is that because of the trade war between them and the USA getting software updates is going to be problematic as Google are now refusing to supply Android to Huawei. It won't be long before many other US software giants also begin shutting off tech to China. To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. 

The only thing that ties me to Apple is the software. I simply cannot use a PC as efficiently as I can a Mac. The way the Apple ecosystem "just works" together from device to device (including ancient devices) is what keeps me interested. I am still using an old Apple TV2 and my old 2010 Mac Mini is still chugging along as a media computer in my study.