crowecg

Skyline by Night

On an evening filled with family taxi duties, I'd just spent two hours to travel 20km and decided I needed to take a break from the traffic before heading home again...

40895384383_f2b10e17c3_o.jpg

DSCF4278 

There must be close to 20 tower cranes visible in this shot!

This is a similar location to the earlier skyline photos and the first time I put the Fuji on a tripod.  Used the phone app as a remote trigger, trying both the simple button mode and the more advanced live preview mode.

And a bit closer....

32917798957_8d68f7fc7c_o.jpg

DSCF4281 

Unfortunately, there was a bit of a light haze, which shows up the light pollution and when trying to bring up some of the mid-tones, the sky lightens a lot.

• Like 4

Good stuff, Chris. Glad to hear your issues with the browser have gone away and you can post again. 

I thought the 2 hours for 65kms I experienced between Johannesburg and Pretoria last year was bad. I don't cope well with traffic. 2 hours for 20kms? I'd rather shoot myself... 

That's changed so much I can't even recognise it as the city I spent my teens to forties in.

4 hours ago, Dallas said:

I thought the 2 hours for 65kms I experienced between Johannesburg and Pretoria last year was bad. I don't cope well with traffic. 2 hours for 20kms? I'd rather shoot myself... 

Which is why I moved to Tasmania nearly 25 years ago, the traffic in Melbourne was unsufferable even back then. Two hours travel here gets you anywhere from 130 to >200kms away, even on a relatively bad day, even in this day and age, and with almost no freeways.

I hear you , Alan. When I did that shoot in Pretoria last October I thought I would drive around the city where I did the bulk of my national service to see if I could find any of my old haunts. I couldn't even find the centre of the city. :( 

City life can be painful. Durban is supposed to be SA's third biggest city, but sometimes it still feels small to me, even though the estimated population is close to 4 million. As long as you avoid the outer ring road (N2) here, you can still get from the central areas to the perimeter of the metro (40-50kms) in about 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

Unless I have an excuse to get out of town, the trip computer in the car usually lists my average speed as around 25km/h.  Public transport isn't too bad where I am, but it is very much focused on getting into the CBD.  

I think think in my time here, the skyline has climbed from around 20-30 floors to 60-70 floors with some reaching 90 floors.

Oh my word, I cannot imagine going up into a building that tall. I'd never make it. My mind would shut down my body. 

The tall buildings are making Melbourne a dark and shadowy city in and around the CBD - like Sydney has been for at least three decades.   Apparently they call this phenomenon progress...........

I had to post this one taken from the Victoria Barracks in St Kilda Rd by J W Lindt after 1880 (probably around 1900, given the guy's clothes and bowler hat). You would have zero hope of seeing the Exhibition Building from anything other than a helicopter from there these days, I guess, but here it is clearly the most prominent, if distant building in the photo .

17067865286_58fd626601_o-1-1024x524.jpg

• Like 1

Alan, I was fascinated by the picture you posted and spent some time looking for other landmarks.  I learnt a few things along the way - like St Patricks Cathedral took over 70 years to build!

Here is the nearest I have to a similar view, from the roof of the Shrine of Remembrance as it is unlikely that I will ever get onto the roof of the barracks. The location of the old photo can just be made out behind a tree on the left side of the image (look for the flagpoles). Looking at the more recent view, probably most of the left half of the old picture would now be obscured by towers located where the foreground buildings are.  The right side view will still extend across the river as that right (east) side of St Kilda Rd is all parkland, however, the view would be blocked by the buildings on the north side of Flinders St.

D7C_1458.thumb.jpg.eaa3811f4fe4b2b5f3a0a86687c3f990.jpg

This dates from 2011, so I'll have to have a day out to get an updated version.

Posted (edited)

The J W Lindt photo was taken from the flat centre of the roof of the Victoria barracks visible as the brownish building with slate roof that appears next to the large gum tree at lower left. It might be worth trying if you can talk your way onto that roof to get an exact comparison. Take a copy of the Lindt photo - that sort of thing usually gets co-operation. I've talked my way into places by showing a 19th Century view that I could demonstrate was taken from their building before.

You can see the two chimney stacks with the iron balustrade between in the enlarged view of this photo, and exactly where the dude in the photo was standing in the middle of this section: :)

Vic-Bks.thumb.jpg.25db167eb74101d42b2609d3affb47e8.jpg

...just adding - maybe suggest the officer on duty stands in at the same spot with a similar pose - you'll probably be surprised at how co-operative people can get when you involve them.

....and further adding - I think that white flash next to the far chimney may even be the skylight seen in the original - which means the new subject's feet can be located exactly where the guy in the bowler was standing. :D :D 

Edited by Alan7140
  • Like 1

On 30/05/2019 at 15:49, Alan7140 said:

The J W Lindt photo was taken from the flat centre of the roof of the Victoria barracks visible as the brownish building with slate roof that appears next to the large gum tree at lower left. It might be worth trying if you can talk your way onto that roof to get an exact comparison. Take a copy of the Lindt photo - that sort of thing usually gets co-operation. I've talked my way into places by showing a 19th Century view that I could demonstrate was taken from their building before.

I think the chances of me talking my way onto that roof are pretty slim.  I'm not sure the view in that direction would be much good either due to some nearby tall buildings.   

Perhaps an an easier project will be for me to browse the STate library photo collection to find a picture from an easier location.😀😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

After a day of broken, wisppy cloud and plenty of sunshine, I thought tonight might be a good night to get back and catch a sunset!  However, about 45 minutes before sunset, the clouds coalesced into a solid blanket and left a bit of a disappointing evening.  However, I wasn't the only one out photographing the view tonight.

48029198578_737ee16e13_o.jpg

DSCF4289 

48029141061_1ab360fa36_o.jpg

DSCF4313 

Oh, and whilst waiting, I calculated that the sun was actually going to cross the horizon 30 degrees to the north (right) of this view.   I'll have to head back in early December to see it set behind the tower blocks.

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 3

The middle one is testing my memory with that (now) unfamiliar skyline, but taken from Studley Park overlooking the Collingwood Children's Farm?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

The middle one is testing my memory with that (now) unfamiliar skyline, but taken from Studley Park overlooking the Collingwood Children's Farm?

They are both at the point where Studley Park Road crosses over Yarra Boulevard.  The first of these two new shots is from the small hill between Studley Park Road and the entry ramp from Yarra Boulevard and the second shot is from where the crowd of people in the first shot are standing (at the opposite end of the bench to the shots that started the post).  It is a zoomed in view of centre right of the big image right at the top.

Google Map Link

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2019 at 10:14, Alan7140 said:

I had to post this one taken from the Victoria Barracks in St Kilda Rd by J W Lindt after 1880 (probably around 1900, given the guy's clothes and bowler hat). You would have zero hope of seeing the Exhibition Building from anything other than a helicopter from there these days, I guess, but here it is clearly the most prominent, if distant building in the photo .

I had a chance to walk past this morning and I don't think it will be possible anymore - there is an extra taller wing to the barracks that looks like it will block the view.

DSCF4357.thumb.jpg.087b3941a3524dc1851ff6dc84b303f7.jpg

I'd be standing on the road behind the righthand chimney on the Lindt picture.

And from another angle, probably down below Lindt's right shoulder, assuming he used a similar posture to modern photographers.DSCF4359.thumb.jpg.aa509e0609f9470d842bc92fe527cb36.jpg

I see - by the looks of it they just slapped another floor onto the roof of the neighbouring building - probably done during WW1 to give more space for committees. Pity, it would have made a good past-and-present shot.