Dallas

Anybody Using G-Technology Drives?

I'm looking at buying something speedier than the slugs I have attached to my old 2012 iMac at the moment. I can get the older 4TB Thunderbolt/USB3.0 version at what is still an eye-watering price (about 2.5x the cost of a normal 4TB USB external drive) but I wonder if there is that much of a performance boost to be had? 

I know I should be thinking about upgrading the iMac but the prices of new ones here have become ridiculous. The iMac Pro costs R100,000 (US$7,000) which is insane. 

I have four of the portable 4TB USB-C powered models. One master, two for home backups, one for off-site backup. So far no issues after a year of use.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I think I am just going to get the normal WD 4TB Blue, which isn't as fast, but should be faster than a normal portable HDD. I can't justify the expense of the G-Drive and I've read quite a few failure reports on Amazon, which together with Luc's experience doesn't instil me with much confidence. 

The plan is to use this as my primary storage drive for work, backing up with Time Machine to another 4TB portable drive. Then after each year of work is done I'll back that year's work up onto a smaller portable drive. Important work I will put in the cloud, seeing as I have Flickr Pro that should be sufficient. 

I have used LaCie drives for years, never had a problem.

The iMac Pro price is crazy.  I think it is not worth it for stills photographers.

• Like 2

I know it is not quite what you are looking for, but I've been using Sandisk ultra fit USB drive as an almost permanent second drive in my laptop. It fits snugly without protruding too far.  I think mines the slightly older USB3.0 and only 128Gbyte, but I will probably need to upgrade to the 256 soon.  Even so it is much cheaper than Apples upgrade price for hard drives.

Like Andrew, I’ve used a 4TB La Cie Porsche design drive for about two years, split into two partitions as a Time Machine and a general hard drive! And no problems. 

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

I have used LaCie drives for years, never had a problem.

The iMac Pro price is crazy.  I think it is not worth it for stills photographers.

Indeed! I don't know what Apple is thinking these days. It's like they are trying to see how much people will pay for their hardware and are just throwing out these ridiculous prices. I'm still not going to get an iPhone X when my phone contract comes up for renewal in August. Simply can't justify the cost.

I am thinking about the 5K regular iMac but there are so many variants now it's a chore just researching which one will be better, plus they all only come with 8GB of RAM whereas my current 3.2GHz machine has 16GB and can take up to 32GB. 

2 hours ago, crowecg said:

I know it is not quite what you are looking for, but I've been using Sandisk ultra fit USB drive as an almost permanent second drive in my laptop. It fits snugly without protruding too far.  I think mines the slightly older USB3.0 and only 128Gbyte, but I will probably need to upgrade to the 256 soon.  Even so it is much cheaper than Apples upgrade price for hard drives.

Thanks Chris, unfortunately not enough space in those. I sometimes add about 10GB a day so that isn't going to last me very long. I wonder though if one can load and run macOS from a USB on a permanent basis? Hmmm... 

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Like Andrew, I’ve used a 4TB La Cie Porsche design drive for about two years, split into two partitions as a Time Machine and a general hard drive! And no problems. 

Mike, but if the LaCie drive fails you will lose everything, including the TM. You really should just get a separate TM drive. Doesn't have to be the fastest in the world since macOS does the backing up without you even knowing it. Keep the full LaCie 4TB for your regular storage and then get one of those WD portable drives to use as a TM. 

49 minutes ago, Dallas said:

Mike, but if the LaCie drive fails you will lose everything, including the TM. You really should just get a separate TM drive. Doesn't have to be the fastest in the world since macOS does the backing up without you even knowing it. Keep the full LaCie 4TB for your regular storage and then get one of those WD portable drives to use as a TM. 

Funnily enough I bought the La Cie drive because my Apple Time Capsule failed! My photos are backed up to a Samsung portable drive, which is not normally connected. Luckily for me I’m not using my iMac for business purposes!

Mike Gorman

I have three external hard drives.  One holds all my data - I do not keep anything other than apps on the iMac.  The next is a Time Machine.  The third is a bootable backup drive managed by Super Duper.  

I'm sitting with about 11TB of external storage at the moment... it's becoming a little bit chaotic because not everything is backed up. I think I need to purge some older shoots that are not important. 

I have a 12TB G-Technology Thunderbolt 3 drive I use to collect stuff from other drives as a backup. This 12TB is then backed up to the cloud. It is handy to have the capacity but even it being Thunderbolt 3 it is limited by the 7200RPM drive inside of it and not a speed demon. You can buy the same drive in USB-C (up to 10TB) for less than half.

I have 1 clone of each drive I use, the important stuff also gets sent to the the Drobos and the 12 TB, which is synced to the cloud. All the data took a while to upload, but even having 3 physical copies of each does nothing if my house gets burned down or broken into, therefore the off-site backup was mandatory.

All of the above is a pain in the ass, time consuming and somewhat costly, but the peace of mind is worth it.

This is the one I got:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1360172&is=REG

But honestly this one should do just fine for archival purposes:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333859-REG/g_technology_0g05678_professional_desktop_drive_power.html

• Like 2

Great info, thanks Rodrigo! 

I didn't even know about the USB-C option. It seems like the way to go for me. I'll see if I can get it here, or if not get a mate to bring me one over from the UK in a couple of months when he returns home. 

3 hours ago, Dallas said:

Great info, thanks Rodrigo! 

I didn't even know about the USB-C option. It seems like the way to go for me. I'll see if I can get it here, or if not get a mate to bring me one over from the UK in a couple of months when he returns home. 

A USB C plug will not fit a USB 2 or 3 socket, and I think that only more recent Apple computers have USB C sockets.

Just bought a 2TB G Drive mobile USB C drive for £99. Not super fast by any means but adequate for my needs. Time will tell!

Mike Gorman

9 hours ago, Anthony said:

A USB C plug will not fit a USB 2 or 3 socket, and I think that only more recent Apple computers have USB C sockets.

I realised this shortly after replying to Rodrigo... :( Damn technology. 

On 16/05/2019 at 10:34, Dallas said:

I realised this shortly after replying to Rodrigo... :( Damn technology. 

It doesn't matter. For $8 you can buy 3 cables that will make the drive work with no issues. Then, whenever you update your machine to USB-C the drive will be compatible as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-USB-C-Charging-Transfer-3-Pack/dp/B01JRY0VE4/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_pm?crid=192L4NS0ZLM0C&keywords=usb+c+to+usb+3.0+cable&pd_rd_i=B01JRY0VE4&pd_rd_r=8ec87610-da3a-4da5-ae30-4a43caa08503&pd_rd_w=7JRKD&pd_rd_wg=IODoy&pf_rd_p=5cc8abfe-8f78-4f34-b19f-d09d6ea0dca4&pf_rd_r=4DYP620AH0JMX7ECTA8J&qid=1558122122&s=gateway&sprefix=usb+C+to+USB+3%2Caps%2C221

I use that same drive on my USB-C less MacPro as well

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 20:44, Mexecutioner said:

Sure they will work, but they will be speed limited by the USB connection on the iMac.  Whether future proofing will be worth the price depends on how long the iMac will be in use.  There is also the issue of whether the extra speed will be worthwhile for Dallas' use when he eventually replaces the iMac.  For normal still photography I do not see any real advantage.

59 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Sure they will work, but they will be speed limited by the USB connection on the iMac.  Whether future proofing will be worth the price depends on how long the iMac will be in use.  There is also the issue of whether the extra speed will be worthwhile for Dallas' use when he eventually replaces the iMac.  For normal still photography I do not see any real advantage.

Sure, but it will work, despite of the different connector, right? It will work at 480Mbps on USB2 machines, 5Gbps on USB 3 machines and 10Gbps on USB-C machines. In this case the limiting factor is the 7200RPM drive inside of the case which will not saturate the link bandwidth regardless of the machine it is attached to. For many, adding 10 or 12TB of SSD storage is cost prohibitive, so the spinning disks will still play a role for some time.

Just  an interesting fact: the USB 3 10TB drive costs exactly the same as the 10TB USB-C. As always the potential buyer will have to determine if it is worth it or not. Personally I don't  keep buying old technology for the same price of the current one when there is 100% backwards compatibility. I don't think they even make these in USB 2 any more. So if both cost the same, work exactly the same on a 2012 iMac, does it make sense to buy the old or the new interface?

Very interesting points raised in this thread. 

Something else that I have to be mindful of as I plot a path to the future of my tech, is that of the screens I am using. Right now I am blissfully using 3 x 27" Apple screens, two of which are Thunderbolt daisy chained to the old iMac. A new iMac will necessitate adapters to keep those screens working and of course there might be more bottleneck issues with those, especially if I have other peripheral devices attached to them. 

I really don't like the way Apple is going these days. New hardware is not only crazy expensive, but it is increasingly designed towards steering us away from local storage and into the cloud. I can see why - more revenue for them in storage rental. Very annoying.