Sign in to follow this  
Alan7140

Tasmanian Old Growth Forest

View last Tuesday of the Upper Florentine forest fronting the Sawback Range (left), The Thumbs (right) and onward to the Denison Range in the distance.

The forest was the subject of a 7 year public campaign and blockade against the government's forestry company's intention to log the whole area, which ultimately resulted in a UNESCO decision to classify the sc ene as World Heritage Area and therefore secure it from logging forever. This forest also came under direct threat from the bushfires that ravaged over 200,000ha of buttongrass, tea-tree and alpine forest from Dec 28 2018-February 2019 (the fires burnt to within 5km of this forest).

VPLEqSB.jpg

Taken with my old Thornton Pickard half-plate camera with original T.P Rapid Rectilinear 230mm f/8 uncoated lens, using Ifospeed MG IV glossy paper as negative material, reversed and digitised to a 175MP file with a Sigma sd Quattro-H camera copying the neg in 9 segments using a Hartblei P6 shift adapter, Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2,8/120 lens with appropriate extension tubes and stitched with PTGUI software. The UV-blue-green only sensitivity of the paper helps to accentuate the separation and distance of near and far objects.

• Like 1

The viewing experience of the image is so rich that I feel as if I'm looking into the real forest through the window or from the open terrace, especially after clicking on the image.

Thank you for enlightening!

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

You are a patient and methodical man Alan.  I could never have achieved this image.

Still trying.

Thanks, Akira and Mike.

There's something deeply satisfying in driving 200km and walking several more, then returning with just two sheets of exposed material containing one carefully considered and taken photograph on each, instead of the hundreds or even thousands of digital files that is so common in this digital era.

Using equipment and materials in common with an era where slow and steady was the norm makes operating at this level mandatory, and is one that I find far more intuitive and rewarding than simply being a vehicle for software and hardware manufacturers to get rich with their crazy obsolescence cycles and continuous pressure to update almost at every corner. The camera, lens and darkslides I use all date to somewhere around 1908, and the resin-coated printing paper I use is simply a resin-coated base-modified version (introduced in the mid-1970's) of the original bromide printing paper that's been in use from around that era as well. I still have a way to go before the results are to my complete satisfaction, but at least I feel I'm on the right track.

• Like 1