Mike G

Cherry blossom?

This tree which I believe is some type of cherry,  every year the blossom pleases me!

CFB4B56D-D5AD-4D76-8709-FD162A81A2C3.thumb.jpeg.65070743a6d5c393f34afab94c54816e.jpeg

Lumix G9 + 35-100mm @ 1/1000 f4 ISO200 a bit of sunshine would have been nice!

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

2 hours ago, Mike G said:

a bit of sunshine would have been nice!

This is where you need to learn how to make your own sunshine, Sunshine. 😎 

A little pop of flash from off camera in manual mode will begin a whole other chapter in your photographic journey of discovery. Do everything in manual and forget about this TTL nonsense they are punting these days.

• Get a cheap speedlight with the ability to use a remote trigger (either by sync cable or these radio triggers) and set it in manual mode. 
  • Put the camera into manual mode and get a zero meter reading by making sure your shutter speed is well below the X-sync of the camera and you are using an aperture value with a few stops latitude either side (i.e. your exposure meter tells you the scene is going to be properly exposed). 
  • Reduce the camera's exposure setting by increasing the shutter speed by about a stop. This will make the ambient exposure drop. Now we're going to light the subject with the flash. 
  • Set your flash to fire at 1/2 power. 
  • Check results. 
  • Too bright? Select a smaller aperture -or- move the flash away from the subject -or- reduce the power of the flash to 1/4 or less.
  • Too dark? Do the opposite of the above step. 
  • Play with different light modifiers and positions to get different results. 

Following this age old methodology transformed the way I work with flash these days and opened up a whole new playing field for me. Once you wrap your head around it, the simplicity is spellbinding. 

• Like 2

Thanks Luc, tried your suggestion and yes that does add a little extra!

CF6E5CE2-FD40-4589-B45C-6A094A978A35.thumb.jpeg.15bb7a1fdef304f5eaaa5d6f93e78ceb.jpeg

Dallas, I do have a small Metz shoe mounted flash, but never been a fan of flash! Always thought it was a PITA in other words I’ve never got to grips with it. 

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

11 hours ago, Mike G said:

Dallas, I do have a small Metz shoe mounted flash, but never been a fan of flash! Always thought it was a PITA in other words I’ve never got to grips with it. 

At first it can be, but as you begin to experiment in manual modes (both on the flash and camera) you begin to see the possibilities. It's really just a case of adjusting power levels to taste and with the flash itself you can adjust the power or simply move it further away (provided you have grasped the inverse square law of how light falls off). 

8 hours ago, saniamirzaaa said:

wow , you got awesome pic, good work man, may i know your editor? <spam link removed>

I edit with Lightroom.

Mike Gorman

9 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I edit with Lightroom.

Somehow a spammer filtered through, but they're now gone. Sorry about that.

These arseholes should strung up by their dangly bits!

I'll have to keep a closer eye on my accounts now!

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

It's a lovely image Mike but a bit flat as the others have pointed out but their tips to remedy the situation are most useful.

• Like 1

Still trying.

I agree that the image is flat. I think the suggestions made by Dallas are good. I would also expt with different compositions, as the overall shape of the bunch could be better. Try cropping in and see what you get. There may be a few nice abstracts waiting to be had.

Gb