armando_m

New Fuji user - X-T3

Ever since Alan started to share his results using the xtrans sensor I have been interested in these cameras

Rather than buying an entry model and going through the cycles of upgrading to newer and better model I decide to go with the X-T3

I wanted the xtrans sensor, a tiltable screen and a sealed body, Amazon Mexico offered it at an attractive price - body only - so now I own an X-T3

7 year ago that I bought the D800, in April :) , I decided the next body I'll get would have to have some significant innovations

... and I waited for the nikon mirrorless ... 

The nikons Z6/Z7 came out but l don't know, lenses are large and being the new models way too expensive.

So here I'm, owning the new camera and using it currently with adapted Nikon lenses

The aids to focus manually are truly useful

The processing in capture one express is surprisingly easy, the files are quite maleable

The camera is quite easy to use in manual mode

The viewfinder looks great, much better than the V1 which is my other mirrorless 

The camera is very responsive, I went for a walk on the streets, and never felt it slowed me down (the V1 would be incredibly slow and frustrating in similar situations)

The camera feels solid, but I'll be getting a better grip, now if there was an L-bracket with grip that will be something :)

Love the sound of the shutter

I'll share a few shots I have taken

First a detail of the top of the camera, I like the retro look , and while the camera has separet  physical dials to adjust speed, iso, and aperture on the lenses, everything can be adjusted via the command dials while looking thought the viewfinder, so it has the looks and can be used like my DSLR

DSC_0693.jpg

• Like 1

Regards,

Armando

Dog, with the nikon 105 f2.5 ais 

Moon with the 70-300AFS zoom, @300mm wide opened, 100% crop , surprised by the amount of detail I was able to obtain
Director, shot with the nikon 50mm f1.8 E series, shot at f2.8, heavy crop, again surprised with the detail, beautiful skin tones, and very pleased with the manual focus aids

All processed from the RAW file using capture one

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0151.jpg

• Like 2

Regards,

Armando

Excellent! Welcome to the serious mirrorless world, Armando. :) I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images with this system. I'm also sure that you will get lots of lens suggestions from the Fuji users on FZ. 

This is a very good camera. Excellent choice.

I don't know whether you prefer prime lenses or zooms, but some of the Fujinon primes are amazing.

I'm glad I seem to have had a hand in your choice, Armando. It's good that you won't have to go through the battles to get decent raw processing choices that us early adopters had to endure, either. There are several good raw processors available now - even Fuji seems to have nailed it now with their basic X Raw free processor, although the adjustment controls are somewhat limited. It is excellent if using Fuji's film simulations with raw files is of interest, though.

In time you'll probably get some Fuji lenses which will definitely increase your appreciation for the system even further. The OIS in the tele lenses is particularly good as well, meaning the lack of in-body stabilisation is not such a big deal when using those Fujinon lenses. One of my pet likes with the X-T2  (and therefore X-T3) is the screw-in cable release socket as the 10-pin socket on my Nikon bodies was a source of several expensive repair jobs, and I never could understand why Nikon included a simple thing like tripping the shutter into that 10-pin nonsense instead of just supplying the tried and true, reliable mechanical connection.

Fuji continues to add lenses to its lineup, but I'm happy with the earlier ones I have; the 50-140/2.8 is a very worthwhile replacement for the much loved 80-200/2.8 AF-D that I used for years with a series of film and digital Nikons until the D3, with which it suffered terminal back-focus that was beyond the menu compensation to fix, and which continued to not focus properly with the D3s, whereupon I sold that treasured AF-D lens. With far quicker focus and that superb OIS the 50-140 has the same allure as did that fantastic old 80-200 Nikkor, plus I'm still amazed as to the slow shutter speeds I can now use with the Fuji lens, even at 140mm.

Other users will probably help you out with information on later compact lenses if they are of interest for you, but I'm still in love with the older 23/1.4, 56/1.2 and 90/2 lenses which take turns along with the 50-140 to be my lens of choice for the day. Other recommendations are for the 10-24/4 with OIS with which I've successfully hand held shots a 1/2 second, and of course the superb Zeiss Touit 2,8/50 Makro, which is head and shoulders above any other macro lens I've ever used, including my previous favourite 105/2.8 AI-s Micro-Nikkor.

The 100-400 4.5-5.6 is a very handy lens with its OIS and WR features, although it isn't quite up to par when using the 1.4x tele extender - good for use for snapshots, but not if seriously good IQ is required. Without the 1.4x, however, it performs up to what I've come to expect with Fujinon glass.

I was quite sad and lighter in the pocket to leave the Fuji camp!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Thanks for the comments, specially for the review of lenses 

I still need to try the many features offered by the camera, I think many things are implemented just because the developers can :)
Using it in manual everything has been a very rewarding experience

I know the camera / lenses will perform very well on nearly any situation, I'm very interested to see how it works when doing astrophotography, I've seen a few comments on internet mentioning the xtrans sensor is more sensitive to the H-alpha channel which with the bayer sensors is only doable by modifying the camera.

Regards,

Armando

1 hour ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Very nice camera, good choice Armando! Have fun with your purchase.

Armando, Luc is so very right, veryfew of us will ever use all the facilities available in modern cameras!

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

So far as the timing of (fully or partially) switching to Fuji is concerned, I guess we (you and me) are pretty lucky.  The Capture One Express makes the processing free and a breeze.  Recently, they added the profiles of most of the genuine Fuji lenses, which improves the image quality even more.

• Like 1

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Thanks for the comments

I ordered a fujinon 27mm f2.8 from ebay, hope to get it soon as it comes from hong kong, also hope it makes through customs with no hassle

• Like 1

Regards,

Armando

Brought the fuji to work  I made a pano of a patio that I like , just outside my work area

I have to remember the aps-c sensor does not have the depth of field of the V1, I used f/5.6 and the background is not in focus

DSCF0330_stitch.jpg

Regards,

Armando

6 minutes ago, armando_m said:

I have to remember the aps-c sensor does not have the depth of field of the V1, I used f/5.6 and the background is not in focus

I don't think DOF is relevant in this shot. Scene looks fine to me. 

• Like 1

Thank you Dallas

My comment is using the reference of the of the pano shots shared by Alan, he's have incredible detail 
mine was shot in a rush, without real planning and proper technique, given this my expectations are unreal :)

Regards,

Armando

Posted (edited)

In a scene like that using an APS-C camera I would focus on the tree on the left and set aperture to f8/f9 to achieve maximum dof.

Edited by Luc de Schepper
  • Like 2

right, thank you Luc

Regards,

Armando

That’s something else I don’t get is the fetish with bokeh, Armando that shot is fine!

Mike Gorman

2 hours ago, armando_m said:

Thank you Dallas

My comment is using the reference of the of the pano shots shared by Alan, he's have incredible detail 
mine was shot in a rush, without real planning and proper technique, given this my expectations are unreal :)

I "cheat", Armando - in the shots you're probably referring to I stack focus each frame as I proceed through the sequence. It's always a tedious, calculated sequence using a proper multi-row,  panoramic head, and rushing isn't an option. It was a real pain back in 2007 to 2015 when I was doing this almost routinely, but the exclusivity gained by doing something so tedious that most others avoided it was all but rendered obsolete when cameras started offering automated focus shifting and even in-camera stacking. In Fuji's case, their auto-focus shift doesn't offer a big enough choice of distance to shift the focus; it appears to be directed at macro photography, and for general scenes it results in too many unnecessary shots at longer distances, which tends to flatten the battery and may even need a battery change or two during the sequence.

This is yet another reason why I'm shifting back to B&W film, which is something very few can be bothered with these days, and especially for those who dismantled their darkrooms with no viable second-hand market back then, and a lot of that stuff ended up at the rubbish tip. As yet there is no manufacturer reintroducing pro-quality enlarging equipment, and there is very little available on the second-hand market. Perhaps it was one of the better decisions I made, keeping all my top-shelf printing setup and a darkroom that required nothing more than filling the trays with fresh chemistry to resume printing after a 10-year dormancy.

Some general information for all readers: As for panos, be wary of using wider lenses to increase DOF as well - they end up causing a somewhat extreme horizontal compression in a stitched panorama, which can lead to very distorted curving horizontal lines.

When stitching multi-row panos in particular, the focal length of the lens is no longer an "equivalent" (if it ever was - "equivalent" is just Internet BS). All a smaller sensor means is that more shots have to be taken to cover the same scene - the perspective & DOF will appear exactly the same as the same scene taken with a 135 camera and same focal length lens in fewer shots, if, say, a 35mm lens is used. The "equivalent" nonsense will tell you that 35mm is a wide angle on 135, but "normal" on APS-C. As far as covering the same scene AOV, the only difference will be the number of shots needed, other than that the result will be identical.

For panos I've only used wider lenses when I have been confined for space, and 23mm is the absolute widest I have used for this, but to be honest it was not successful as I had to do a lot of post stitching de-warping in Photoshop afterwards. In practical terms 35mm is the widest for successful multi-row stitched panos, and with that focal length and longer, stacking is almost mandatory to keep background and foreground sharp.

Posted (edited)

Thank you Alan for the detailed explanation 

my 27mm fujinon lens arrived very quickly and with no hassles at all, the camera-lens make a very handy, light and incredibly responsive camera

A couple of shots

Old train - structure added in capture one, b&w in silver efex

A port to nowhere - b&w in silver efex

The artisan - heavy crop - classic chrome film simulation

DSCF0345.jpg

DSCF0372_1.jpg

DSCF0375.jpg

Edited by armando_m
  • Like 3

Regards,

Armando

I really like the peacefulness of the middle image, Armando. 

Very nice Armando, good to see you’re enjoying the new gear and being inspired by it. I’m considering the Fujifilm X-Pro2 or to be released X-Pro3. I’m pretty sure that camera will fit my shooting style mainly city/travel/street. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Very nice Armando, good to see you’re enjoying the new gear and being inspired by it. I’m considering the Fujifilm X-Pro2 or to be released X-Pro3. I’m pretty sure that camera will fit my shooting style mainly city/travel/street. 

If you are after the rangefinder style, you could also consider the x-e3.  It is a bit smaller  and you don't loose too many features.

• Like 1

The B&W images look nice.

X-Pro2 is a very big camera: it is just as wide as D750 and taller than X-T3 except for the pseudo pentaprism part.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Akira said:

X-Pro2 is a very big camera: it is just as wide as D750 and taller than X-T3 except for the pseudo pentaprism part.

Size comparisons between X-E3, X-Pro2, X-T3 and D750 http://j.mp/2V1sACp and http://j.mp/2V0TiLF and http://j.mp/2YxZ1KY

Edited by Luc de Schepper