waltonksm

The End of Winter

The annual dog races are my last major task before spring.  Now we wait for the river to thaw, and our short summer fishing season to take place.  These are local teams that are run by local mushers.  Fewer and fewer are raced, as expenses mount for keeping the dogs. I missed part of the activities on Saturday, but did take photos of the end of the women's races this afternoon. This musher is trying to reduce some drag by crouching down on the sled runners.

Andreafski Dog Races 2019

There are a lot of long tongues hanging out as these dogs get to the finish line.  I assume most people know, but for those who don't,  dogs "pant" to get rid of excess heat. 

Crossing the finish line:

A wider view. This is the Andreafsky River, about 40 yards from the shore.  Just lst week there was an abundance of water over this area, as our temperatures approached 40F. As I suspect many of you know, it is somewhat challenging to take photos when everything is white, and you have a very bright sun.  Most of these images started out at a PLUS 1.0 to 1.6.

And this is the dog transport sled.  Not exactly like the mushers who run the Iditarod. 

• Like 1

We could use some cooler weather here. Great photos, Walton. 

And then, after the races, more dancing......

Andreafski Dog Races, Yurak

Hi WaltonKMS - I like the middle shot of the doggies the best. It sort of tells a lot to the viewer. I also like the breath coming out of their mouths on the bottom one, would have loved to see a close up of that if you have the rez to crop. the pix of the kids are OK too.

Posted (edited)

Yes, this year I was lazier than usual.  We had some heavy snow a few days earlier, and this followed 40F weather, so the ice was a bit thin in spots. I just was not up to walking through heavy snow this year. I am standing on a dock that is about 12 feet or so higher than the current river level.  I am also a good 40 yards away from the action.  Here are a few more images.  I am getting fairly low resolution with these crops, but perhaps they are worth a look or two. They are also back-lit, so not the greatest contrast in the world. 

Thanks for looking.

P3170520e

P3170515F

P317051E

Edited by waltonksm
correct some working

I like those pix.. cool shots!  Definitely aim for those again next year. I def know what you mean about being lazy ...  that's been affecting my photography the last year or two. I need to do new stuff!

GB

Thank you for the compliments, but I am not likely to take these photos next year.  I am 72 and am far too old to be doing the job that I am doing.  Hopefully I will go back to my "old job" before this time next year: retired.