Sign in to follow this  
crowecg

Skyline

This morning I found a bit of time and managed to get back to a location overlooking the Melbourne skyline to try and recreate some shots I took a little of 8 years ago.  The comparisons are interesting both in the changes in the cityscape and in the cameras available to me.

This was the original shot I wanted to recreate - a crop from a 6Mpixel image taken with a Nikon D50 and 18-55

47108323021_486bf9f25c_o.jpg

Skyline 1

And the newer image - a slight crop of a 24Mpixel image taken with a Fuji X-E3 and 18-55.

40143663733_1a78e83fa3_o.jpg

Skyline 2 

• Like 1

And also in colour - 

46384657074_523ec847e6_o.jpg

Skyline 3 

46384662784_096bd2fb3c_o.jpg

Skyline 2

Obviously the modern shot is a morning shot and the old ones are evening, so the lighting is very different, allowing much more detail in the buildings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By crowecg
      Following on from my earlier historic Melbourne post, a few blocks further east, another interesting corner.

FS0 4 Swanston Street looking north.

Most people shoot this corner looking towards the station in the southwestern corner of the intersection, but I think this direction is quite an interesting choice.  Another interesting thing is that both of Melbourne's cathedrals were completed without spires, which were later added in the 1920's or '30's.  Looking back at the picture Alan posted that started this idea in this thread, the tall towers/spires are Town Hall (left of centre), Scots Church (tallest, in centre) and St Michael's Uniting Church (second tallest, slightly right of centre).  I'm not sure about the other 3-4 towers visible in that shot, but they don't seem to be current churches.

• By crowecg
      Whilst scouting out the barracks (see here if you are wondering why), I thought I'd better get some other photos too, so as not to look too suspicious.😎

DSCF4353 

This is Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance.  For all the tall buildings visible from here, planning restrictions prevent towers from as much as casting a shadow across this view.

DSCF4364 

And closer.  Then turning around ....

DSCF4361 

DSCF4367 

Shot with Fuji X-E3 and 27 f/2.8 or 55-200.
    • By crowecg
      Having failed to capture some decent sunset pictures the other evening (as noted in the later entries to this post), I decided to go for sunrise instead.

DSCF4322 

DSCF4323 

OK, I cheated a little bit - the white balance is set to 'daylight fluorescent', which makes it even more golden looking.
    • By crowecg
      Following Alan's challenge to recreate a historic view of Melbourne, I started searching the State Library's online photo archive to find a slightly easier one than blagging my way onto the roof of Victoria Barracks.  This one caught my eye, as I walk through this scene each day when I walk back to the station from my office.

The library catalogue suggests a date of 1870-1880 and looking at the smoke from the chimney of the Sir Charles Hotham Hotel, there must have been a fair breeze blowing that day.  Unfortunately, it didn't turn out quite so easy.  Whilst I reckon I could find the spot where the photo was taken from, the current view isn't quite as attractive....

DSCF4349.

I did try a shot from in the other side of the bridge, but didn't have a wide enough lens and have had to put together a bit of a panorama instead.

city 

But then a bit more library searching came up with this image...

This is probably right in the middle of the intersection, but nearer in terms of angle to what I can access today.  The library catalogue dates this between 1910 and 1914.  The tram route now comes straight along out of the picture, but if I keep an eye on the traffic lights and take the wider lens with me, I might just get something close to this second image.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.