Akira

Some initial images with X-E3

About a month ago, I decided to leave the DSLR world for good and switched to Fuji X system.  I wanted to reduce the weight and size as much as I could, so I went straight to X-E3 and 23/2.0 kit which was a bargain.

Another encouraging factor was Capture One Express Fujifilm.  I alread had stopped subscribing Adobe CC a couple of months before because I don't really use much of its advanced functions like layers.  I had used Capture NX-D to edit NEF files from D750.  I had heard that the profiling of Capture One for the X-trans sensor was excellent.  Here are some initial shots with X-E3 and 23/2.0.  All images were shot as RAW and processed in Capture One Express.  The first three images were shot at ISO3200.

_DSF1098.jpg

_DSF1105.jpg

_DSF1112.jpg

_DSF1332.jpg

Edited by Akira
  • Like 2

Welcome to Fujiland, Akira.

I am very happy with my decision to Fuji, and so is my back.  The Fuji lenses are excellent, although it is generally considered that the f1.4 lenses are better than their f2 equivalents.

Capture One does an excellent job of demosaicing Fuji files, noticeably better than Lightroom.  I find with C1 that I rarely need to do anything other than tonal adjustments to taste.  As a result, there is a lot about C1 I still have to explore.

I agree with Anthony regarding the f1.4 lenses!

I was quite sad to leave the Fujifilm sphere but too many freezes, lock ups and factory resets were happening for my liking, Also the aperture rings on my lenses was very slack with very little in the way of detentes so too sloppy they kept changing settings! So I took a financial hit and changed to mu-43.

Still new to mu-43 and getting used to it, so far so good.

My equivalent to the X-E3 is my Lumix G8!

I’m finding the IQ of my-43 is extremely similar to Fujifilm!

Welcome to the mirrorless world, Akira! Great to see you posting here again. :) 

I don't know how it deals with Fuji X-trans, but if you'd like to try a decent editor that does offer layers as well as many other excellent features for little money, give Luminar a try. they have just added a library module to it, so it's starting to chase down Lightroom hard. A few more years and I think it may just surpass Lr. 

Unfortunately my workflow is so tied into Lr that I can't see myself using anything else. It does offer some excellent features, but the thing that irritates me isn't so much the monthly subscription, but the fact that it takes so long to start up. I timed it at 2 minutes yesterday which is ridiculous. And then the Adobe desktop app freaked itself out and had to be reinstalled... 🤬

Yes, welcome Akira to the world of lighter weight cameras and good luck with your new smaller format equipment.

Anthony, I know exactly what you mean.  In spite of a lot of gym work, my back has not regained its former strength, so it is now the M43 gear that gets taken on the longer walks and the Nikon gear is used for car boot operations where the hikes are short ones or for desk top photography and around home use.  A sore back also prioritises the selection of any second or third lens which of course lightens the camera bag (which is probably what I should have been doing all along!  Silly me.) and as we all know smaller format lenses are generally lighter than FX/135 or larger format ones.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Welcome to Fujiland, Akira.

I am very happy with my decision to Fuji, and so is my back.  ...................................................................

Thank you, guys, for your warm welcome (back)!

Anthony: actually, X-E3 is my first digital camera ever that offers uncompressed 14 bit RAW files, and, combined with C1, I'm just amazed by its image quality.  I find that RAF files in C1 are practically as pliable as NEF files in CC.

Mike and Anthony: the f1.4 lenses are attractive, but I went for the package that is as small as possible.  I'm still wish for a "quieter" version of 35/1.4, though!

Dallas, I briefly tried Luminar with NEF files from D750, but preferred the result of Capture NX-D.  If I would be in need of processing files other than RAF, I may want to give Luminar a try again.  Thank you for your suggestion!

Hugh: I'm happy with my decision so far.  I guess that Fujifilm is the only company to try to keep the format as small as possible in the mirrorless world!   The lenses all other manufacturers are offering and developing are huge!

18 hours ago, Akira said:

I guess that Fujifilm is the only company to try to keep the format as small as possible in the mirrorless world!   The lenses all other manufacturers are offering and developing are huge!

Hmm, have you seen the Fuji 200mm?  Monster lens and monster price.  Sadly, both put it out of the question for me, despite the stellar image quality. 😞

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

Hmm, have you seen the Fuji 200mm?  Monster lens and monster price.  Sadly, both put it out of the question for me, despite the stellar image quality. 😞

Yes, I tried to handle X-H1 with the battery grip and 200/2.0 combo.  The lens is actually about 700g lighter than AF-S Nikkor 200/2.0 VR.

I guess it is impossible to make fast tele lenses slimmer anyway, because the diameter of the front element has to be at least 100mm to make a 200/2.0 lens theoretically.  For the same reason, the diameter of a 600/4.0 lens has to be at least 150mm.  These are law of nature.  You can only make the lens to some extent shorter by employing modern technological tricks like the diffraction optics.

So far as the prime lenses are concerned, the only ones that can be made smaller are the standard and wideangle lenses.

Edited by Akira

4 hours ago, Akira said:

Yes, I tried to handle X-H1 with the battery grip and 200/2.0 combo.  The lens is actually about 700g lighter than AF-S Nikkor 200/2.0 VR.

I guess it is impossible to make fast tele lenses slimmer anyway, because the diameter of the front element has to be at least 100mm to make a 200/2.0 lens theoretically.  For the same reason, the diameter of a 600/4.0 lens has to be at least 150mm.  These are law of nature.  You can only make the lens to some extent shorter by employing modern technological tricks like the diffraction optics.

So far as the prime lenses are concerned, the only ones that can be made smaller are the standard and wideangle lenses.

Yes, we cannot escape the laws of physics.

Oops, yes, I meant "law of physics"!

Edited by Akira

My "initial" experience continues.  This time with Ai Nikkor 200/4.0 attached via Rayqual adapter.  The RAF file was processed in Capture One Express Fujifilm.

_DSF1693.jpg

Edited by Akira
  • Like 1

Shot this morning.  The red color in the horizon totally disappered a couple of minute after I had chimped the images on the LCD of X-E3.  35/2.0 lens.  Processed in Capture One Express Fujifilm (now it contains the profile of many X-mount lenses).

_DSF1698.jpg

• Like 2