Akira

Some initial images with X-E3

Camellia.  Trimmed to some extent for the composition I would like.  X-E3 with XF 35/2.0 wide open.

_DSF1776.jpg

• Like 1

Akira, my journey from the Nikon big boys was via Fuji XT series but due to my experience of faulty Fuji’s and ended up in the mu-43 field, so far it is good despite a small problem with the leatherette covering of a Lumix G9, I’m quite happy with the IQ.

Mike, I've heard about the initial problems of X-H1.  Judging from the symptoms of X-H1, I understand your disappointment.  That also confirms my (or even common) motto: do not go for the first generation!  X-H1 is the first Fuji body with IBIS.  X-E3 is the third generation.  Apparently, it was not until the third generation that Sony Alpha7 series become well-balanced.  So, being late on the bandwagon is rather a good thing at least in the digital world!

It is a bit difficult to judge the generation for Panasonic G9, but it incorporates the already proven technologies, so it is definitely not of the first generation.  Hope you enjoy your camera system.

Edited by Akira
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Really nice to read your postings and view your images here again Akira. You made an excellent choice going with Fuji. Please continue to post more (if possible).

Long time no see, Luc!  I'm glad to receive your comment.  I'm really happy with my decision to switch from Nikon, my long time favorite, to Fuji, especially X-E3.  My enjoyment with Fuji is further enhanced by Capture One Express whose conversion of X-Trans sensor file is fantastic.

My initial experience continues.  😊

X-E3 with Ai Nikkor 200/4.0@f11

_DSF1799.jpg

Edited by Akira

That sunrise shot has beautiful color, Akira.  I naturally favor the 23mm focal length in APS-C, but would like to acquire a 35mm as well. The 23/1.4 and the 14/2.8 Fuji lenses are the only ones I have, and can recommend with complete confidence based on my copies.  I'd like a nice 35mm for the Fuji, but was not happy with the focus motor speed of the 35/1.4 I tried.  

Keith, thank you for commenting.  Glad you like one of the images posted here.

I bought X-E3 and 23/2.0 as a kit which was a bargain.  I would say that the opical performance of 23/2.0 is better than 35/2.0, but I always prefer the standard angle of view, as you would already know.

As I posted on "Fuji Lens Database" in "GEAR" section, XF 35/2.0 seemed to suffer from sample variation (decentering).    I also looked at 35/1.4, but I find that not only the AF motor but also the constant chattering of the aperture are noisy and annoying, although its optical performance seemed promising, and it can get closer than the f2.0 sibling.

I read your review on 14/2.8 which makes me want to go for it.  But I'm also interested in the comming 16/2.8 for its unobtrusiveness.

It is interesting to see that that after using  DSLRs we tend like smaller cameras, lately my preference when shooting on vacation or just exploring has been my V1, regardless of the ugly ergonomics, the size and weight has prevailed, and if I take the D800 on a similar photo adventure, I'll take the manual 35mm f2.8 lens because it is tiny.

I have been looking at Fuji for a very long time and never taking a decision ... 

anyway, glad to see you are happy with your decision to move to Fuji

1 hour ago, armando_m said:

It is interesting to see that that after using  DSLRs we tend like smaller cameras, lately my preference when shooting on vacation or just exploring has been my V1, regardless of the ugly ergonomics, the size and weight has prevailed, and if I take the D800 on a similar photo adventure, I'll take the manual 35mm f2.8 lens because it is tiny.

I have been looking at Fuji for a very long time and never taking a decision ... 

anyway, glad to see you are happy with your decision to move to Fuji

I've always been a big fan of small, unobtrusive system.  So long as neither Nikon, Canon, Sony, L-mount alliance or even Olympus are going to make small lenses, Fuji seems to be the only choice to my liking.  My no.1 choice is XF 35/2.0 which is a bit tricky to use, but I hope I'm getting the hang of using it.  Also, Capture One Express Fujifilm was the final punch to make me decide to switch to Fuji: it processes the X-Trans files in a marvellous way.

Urban geometry.

_DSF1818.jpg

Of course as Dallas, Luc and Hugh would say that Fuji is not the only system that uses even more tiny first class lenses. MU-43 is also well worth a look if you want small!

Posted (edited)

will you later share the tricks for the XF 35/2.0 ?

the urban geometry image is great in regards of composition, sharpness and processing

Edited by armando_m

9 hours ago, Mike G said:

Of course as Dallas, Luc and Hugh would say that Fuji is not the only system that uses even more tiny first class lenses. MU-43 is also well worth a look if you want small!

MIke, m4/3 used to offer compact lenses initially, but the newer models tend to get larger and larger except for the kit lenses.  The f1.2/1.4 class lenses of Panasonic and Olympus are ether as large as or even larger than those of APS-C lenses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, armando_m said:

will you later share the tricks for the XF 35/2.0 ?

the urban geometry image is great in regards of composition, sharpness and processing

Armando, the XF35/2.0 is a pleasantly sharp lens except in the closest range.  In addition, it generally offers very nice bokeh, for front or back.  But, when focused at the range between a couple of meters and 10-20 meters or so, the image area slightly in front of the focused area is sometimes rendered in a little irritating way: it looks like camera blur.  Of course, the camera is not blurred in this case: the focused part is rendered sharply.

Also, the pronounced field curvature may sometimes cause problem.  The corners of the flat surfaces (like those of a building or a wall) won't really get sharp even at f8.0.  It also suffers from sample variation.  Mine is the third sample.

On the contrary, the XF 23/2.0 that came with X-E3 performs just superbly.  I haven't found anything to complain yet, and I'm not sure if I would.

The Capture One Express Fujifilm, free version dedicated to Fuji cameras (even including the old Finepix Pro models with the honeycomb CCD!), can process the X-Trans sensor superbly without any hassle.  You can apply the types of "Film Simulation" (practically "Picture Control" in the Nikon term) that are only offered higher-end models to X-E3 image in the software.  It was not at all difficult to get used to its user interface.  As expected, the free version doesn't offer all of the functions of the full version, but I don't see any need to upgrade for my rather casual use.

3 hours ago, Akira said:

MIke, m4/3 used to offer compact lenses initially, but the newer models tend to get larger and larger except for the kit lenses.  The f1.2/1.4 class lenses of Panasonic and Olympus are ether as large as or even larger than those of APS-C lenses.

Akira, the Olympus 17mm 1.7 and the Panasonic 15mm 1.7 are tiny. But yes some Olympus and Panasonic  lenses do approach Fujinon sizes,  but the larger aperture Fuji’s are massive, but of course they are much smaller than the FF lens releases of late which to my mind seem huge!

• Like 1

I agree, some of the prime lenses for MFT are getting a bit too big, but... there are small alternatives that can't be had for APS-C. The Oly 9-18mm is a case in point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dallas said:

I agree, some of the prime lenses for MFT are getting a bit too big, but... there are small alternatives that can't be had for APS-C. The Oly 9-18mm is a case in point. 

Dallas, I stayed away from the mu-43 small zooms as Akira was using the Fujinon 23mm f2

The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 are pretty small and light.

Posted (edited)

MIke, Dallas and Hugh,  all the lenses named by you belong to the very initial lineups.  Both Panasonic and Olympus were promoting the compactness of the mirrorless m4/3 system comparing to DSLRs.  Currently they seem to ignore the beauty of the system of which they used to be proud of...

I'm not Fuji fanboy, but they are trying to offer compact lenses like F2.0 prime series and the up-and-coming 16mm/f2.8 along with the huge lenses like 200mm/f2.0 or 33mm/f1.0.

Edited by Akira

Well sure, you have to find your system and be happy with what it offers you. 

Even though I recently upgraded from the Old 9-18mm to the much bigger 8-18mm Leica, the size of the new lens is still much smaller than its 135 contemporaries. However, as my work has changed since I adopted MFT, size wasn't really a consideration for that particular lens choice - it was more about overcoming some of the shortcomings of the 9-18mm (which I kept and probably won't sell) and delivering real estate work that I was happier with. When the bulk of my work was in documentary photography size and weight of my gear was critical to me, but for RE work it is less of a burden because I am not carrying the camera with me in a bag all day. In fact I have seriously considered getting the Sigma SD Quattro H (an APS-H size sensor) and fairly large 12-24mm lens for potential work in a related field (commercial accommodation). 

• Like 1

Some more.  Shot with XF35/2.0.  The second image was trimmed a bit.

_DSF1938.jpg

_DSF1945.jpg

• Like 3

Moon and magnolias.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of pliability of RAF file in Capture One Espress Fujifilm (I've processed RAF files only in C1, so I cannot compare).

_DSF2051.jpg

X-E3 seems to cope with this specialty lens pretty well.  Shot with Nikkor-O 55/1.2 a.k.a. CRT Nikkor.

_DSF2071.jpg