Jump to content
atpaula

The Z6 gives me more freedom....

Recommended Posts

I'm carrying it with me more often....
But I still don't like the missing green dot.
With the AF lenses the red square focus indicator becomes green. That's super. Why not with the manual focus lenses?
As someone told me, I've assigned my Fn1 button to zoom the viewfinder. It's not enough for me.
I used a Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 Distagon in this pic .

 

aZ6N_0372_zpseeizs4p3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got me intrigued so I looked up the online manual. Either something's not right with the camera, or there's something not set right, or Nikon's electronic contacts are not compatible with the Zeiss lenses (the last one wouldn't surprise me at all):

 

 

Z6 focus.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aquinaldo, I notice that you have your trusty D4s up for sale.  Is the image quality of your new Z6 such that it is the now a more preferable tool than the D4s?  (I realise that you also shoot with a Df, which has a tuned version of the  D4 sensor.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

You've got me intrigued so I looked up the online manual. Either something's not right with the camera, or there's something not set right, or Nikon's electronic contacts are not compatible with the Zeiss lenses (the last one wouldn't surprise me at all):

 

 

Z6 focus.JPG

 

7 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

You've got me intrigued so I looked up the online manual. Either something's not right with the camera, or there's something not set right, or Nikon's electronic contacts are not compatible with the Zeiss lenses (the last one wouldn't surprise me at all):

 

 

Z6 focus.JPG

 

I don't know what is happening. With manual focus lenses, any of them, the only way to check focus is by the peaking highlights feature, which I don't like at all.

With AF lenses the red square focus indicator that you move through the frame becomes green when focus is achieved. Never seen the green dot so far.

I'm still learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Aquinaldo, I notice that you have your trusty D4s up for sale.  Is the image quality of your new Z6 such that it is the now a more preferable tool than the D4s?  (I realise that you also shoot with a Df, which has a tuned version of the  D4 sensor.)

I believe the image quality of the Z6 if not equal would be better than of the D4s. It seems also to be very robust and reliable.

The downsize is battery endurance, but there is no problem for me to carry one or two spares is  my pocket.

The less weight to carry makes me very happy, since I move a lot when photographing.

Anyway, I'll keep my D5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aguinaldo, you may want to try turning off the peaking feature to see if that activates the focus confirmation dot. I know that on my Olympus cameras some features will not work while others are active. It can drive you crazy trying to figure out these things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dallas said:

Aguinaldo, you may want to try turning off the peaking feature to see if that activates the focus confirmation dot. I know that on my Olympus cameras some features will not work while others are active. It can drive you crazy trying to figure out these things. 

At first I got no focus confirmation at all and had to turn on the peaking highlights to have something.

The beloved, primitive, greend ot does not appear even with AF lenses.

Maybe my camera is deffective or I did not find the right page to read in the manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I strongly suspect there is something wrong (or misconfigured) if it isn't appearing with AF lenses either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aquinaldo,

 

My Z6 gives a green focus point with my adapted 60mm f/2.8G Micro and with Native Z-Mount lenses.  It does not seem to give a green focus point with my adapted Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS lens.   I have to use the focus peaking feature if I want a focusing aid with this non-CPU lens.

 

I hope Nikon fixes this with a BIOS update.  

Edited by BillM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.