crowecg

Australia Day

The Australia Day public holiday marks the end of the summer holiday period here in Australia, with people heading back to work and kids back to school.  We took advantage of the long weekend to have  few days out - one to the hills and the other to the coast.

The trip to the hills involved some cycling along the Warburton Rail Trail - around 40km of disused railway line no used for cycling, walking and horse riding (We didn't do it all).

46053591175_8965586096_o.jpg

Cycling 

We also took a drive up to the summit of Mount Donna Buang and a brief walk around the rain forest tree top trail.

40002895213_6373125739_o.jpg

Rain Forest

The coast trip involved a bit of time on the beach at Flinders and some stops along towards Cape Schank.

32026476327_81351285fd_o.jpg

Cape Schank

32026470787_415ecf2b9a_o.jpg

Cape Schank Lighthouse 

32026479927_ae22ba5572_o.jpg

Waves 

46053581205_fea9309acf_o.jpg

Lone Tree  - Whilst sitting on the beach, this lone tree on a distant headland attracted my attention.  Unfortunately by the time I realised the shot I wanted, the tide was coming in and I couldn't get close enough, even at 200mm, so I've had to crop.

46915498302_83ee784312_o.jpg

Lone Tree B&W A B&W version also appealed to me, although it is a bit hazy.  Perhaps an excuse for a return visit.

Camera: Fuji X-E3, Lenses:  27 f/2.8,  18-55 and 55-200.

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 3

Great photos, Chris. I see on my weather app that it's been a tad warm in Melbourne lately. 

Yes - many tads actually.  Now in February and it was 41 Deg C today.  :devil:

Only 26 Deg C predicted for tomorrow - thank goodness!  :)

• Grimmace 2

1 hour ago, Dallas said:

Great photos, Chris. I see on my weather app that it's been a tad warm in Melbourne lately. 

Another day of cloys to 40C, with a number of bushfires burning in the surrounding countryside.

Interestingly at the other end of the country, Townsville is in the middle of a couple of weeks of torrential rain.

We've been not so bad this year. Only had a few very uncomfortably warm days in December, nothing over 34˚C though. Humidity has been there as per usual, but if memory serves it was like this last year and then in March/April mother nature cranked up the heat to levels we normally see in Feb.

26˚C today and presently having a thunderstorm in the middle of the afternoon (which is not normal for Durban). 

16 hours ago, crowecg said:

Another day of cloys to 40C, with a number of bushfires burning in the surrounding countryside.

Interestingly at the other end of the country, Townsville is in the middle of a couple of weeks of torrential rain.

And at the other end of the country and all but ignored by the mainland media is the fact that Tasmania is now entering its sixth straight week of constant bushfires, with 3% of the State (well over 100,000ha) burnt out, and no end in sight and new fires flaring up while the old ones continue to burn. Hobart had both the warmest January ever, and the driest ever, with .04mm in total for the month.

03-02-2019 hotspots.JPG

Alan, the Tasmanian fires did get some mentions here in Melbourne, but as you say after six weeks, the news is now looking elsewhere even though the fires are still burning.

And today it looks like a thick fog here, except that it's acrid smoke with visibility down to about 750m. There is still no attempt being made to water-bomb the wilderness fires, and we'll probably pass 200,000ha burnt in the next day or two. This is probably just a precursor to a future calamitous fire as we've been spared the high winds that can happen, and when combined with fire produce things like Black Saturday in Victoria a decade ago.