vivionm

Tagline Grammar?

I see the site is now "The Recreational Photographer's Community".

What? Just ons single photographer???

To include us all, it would need to be "The Recreational Photographers' Community".

• Grimmace 1

1 hour ago, vivionm said:

I see the site is now "The Recreational Photographer's Community".

What? Just ons single photographer???

To include us all, it would need to be "The Recreational Photographers' Community".

Crikey, I made that change last year. 

I am not so sure that the grammar you're suggesting is correct, because the targeted individual is a recreational photographer and this would be his or her community, so in that case the current apostrophe position is correct. Similar to this appropriation https://www.farmersweekly.co.za (it is targeted at an individual but applies to many farmers). 

If we use photographers' instead it implies belonging to many photographers, but then the personalisation of the target is lost. 

Anybody with a Grammarly account who can verify which use is the right one? 

I see. So which recreational photographer is the targeted individual? What is his/her name?

Why not "The Community for recreational photographers"?

Ahhh, the minefield of apostrophes before/after/none concerning the letter "s" in the English language. :D :D

• Like 1

On 01/02/2019 at 09:11, Alan7140 said:

Ahhh, the minefield of apostrophes before/after/none concerning the letter "s" in the English language. :D :D

Just when you think you have got the hang of it, you get "it's" and "its" ( if the autocorrect will let you🙄)

4 hours ago, crowecg said:

Just when you think you have got the hang of it, you get "it's" and "its" ( if the autocorrect will let you🙄)

And, in Ireland, its's ...

It’s is of course a contraction of “it is”, such a bore all that extra typing. 😉

2 minutes ago, Mike G said:

It’s is of course a contraction of “it is”, such a bore all that extra typing. 😉

And it's also breaking the possessive apostrophe rule.

17 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Correct, Mike.

There is a public park in Dublin named Saint Stephen's Green.

Many Dubliners write it as "Saint Stephens'es Green".

3 hours ago, crowecg said:

And it's also breaking the possessive apostrophe rule.

Chris, I do realise that “it’s” is a possessive version of its!

Mike, it's not.

Ok it isn’t, my grammar is awfully bad!

Mike, do not despair. You are a good photographer.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, vivionm said:

Mike, do not despair. You are a good photographer.

Bless you Vivion, but I would like to improve my command of English grammar. But at 73, I’m not overly anal about it! 🤗

It took me many years to be able to spell “necessary” properly. 😀

Blame the old printing industry with its  manual setting for contracting "it is" to "it's". Saves a blank type spacer with an extra i. Same applies for one of the other main ones the millennials can't get a grip on - substituting the space and "a" for an apostrophe in "you're" instead of you are, so now we're getting the likes of "your having apoplexy over irrelevancies" which is fast becoming the common use. 

• LOL 1

The American "yawl" has me intrigued.  "You all" is not that long an alternative.

Meanwhile in Germany, young people are foregoing the capitalisation of their nouns!

16 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

The American "yawl" has me intrigued.  "You all" is not that long an alternative.

American in general has me flummoxed. Their spelling shortcuts disregard the pronunciation guides that things such as doubling consonants give to words; the chief bugbear for me are words like the American "traveling", which I always read as "traveeling" instead of "travelling", no matter how hard I try to avoid that happening. The American method of dropping the second (preceding vowel-softening) consonant is also erratic - it happens sometimes (why not 'eratic' or 'hapens', then?) and not others without any logical reasoning behind it.

Edited by Alan7140

The one that vexes me is the insertion of a superfluous apostrophe in plural nouns, e.g. "I bought two balaclava's".

• Like 1

After centuries of absorbing bits of various other languages, there are definitely some divergences now in English and perhaps in another century or two Americans will be able to lay claim to their own language which is completely different to British English.

Chris are you telling me that American English hasn’t already reached the point of divergence, I think it has!