atpaula

First pics with my Nikon Z6

At the Universal Islands of Adventure.
Manual focus with a Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 Distagon with a cpl filter.
I really don't like the absence of the green dot focusing aid.
Other than that, the camera is a pleasure to use.
Battery lasts for 300 pics (RAW + jpg fine) with camera always turned on in viewfinder priority mode, so I'll need to carry 2 or 3 batteries for every photo session with it. 

aaZ6N_0227_zpsubhchiio.jpg

aaZ6N_0172_zpsrgy1ycbv.jpg

aaZ6N_0112_zpslnxnhcga.jpg

aaZ6N_0106_zpsyi3cnu1t.jpg

• Like 2

When you get focus peaking set up to your best preference you'll probably think the green dot was a truly primitive thing. :) 

2 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

When you get focus peaking set up to your best preference you'll probably think the green dot was a truly primitive thing. :) 

I'm still learning how to use the camera, but having to press a button twice to check focus does not seem right to my kind of photography (landscape and street). 

Modern is not the same as better. I still prefer the primitive green dot.

7 hours ago, atpaula said:

I'm still learning how to use the camera, but having to press a button twice to check focus does not seem right to my kind of photography (landscape and street). 

Modern is not the same as better. I still prefer the primitive green dot.

I'm not familiar with the way the Z6 works, but other mirrorless cameras I have do not require any buttons to be pressed at all. As I read, you're manually focusing the lens, which means peaking should be active the whole time (if set to do so in the menu) - on my Fuji cameras it becomes immediately apparent the moment the camera is switched on, as it does with the Sigma. If it's not obvious at first, the moment the focus ring is turned it becomes very apparent. The peaking indicators outlining the edges of objects in focus are also obvious over the whole frame, not just within the focus bracket, so you can immediately see what other parts of the image will be sharp, and they shift fluidly as you turn the focus ring. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I honestly cannot imagine having a digital camera without it now.

I assure can you that if Nikon has implemented it in the same way, it is vastly better than anything that went before. If you want to make sure of being focused on, for example, an eyeball iris and not the eyelashes in a head & shoulders tele shot taken wide open, other than having the eyes of a young adult looking through a good SLR screen it is a wickedly easy way for older eyes to nail the focus exactly every time.

Even the FZ green dot has shrunk almost to nothing! 😉

I do like Betty  Boop though!