GB111

VW Camping

Took this at the Salton Sea in California last night.

Anything I can do in post to make it better? It just seems a tad plain to me (but I am interested in your take).

Gb

DSC_0768_Edit1_1800.jpg

• Like 3

Another angle.

DSC_0724_Edit1_1800.jpg

• Like 3

I like them both. The first one is nicely composed, but perhaps a bit too much dark foreground? 

It seems like restored VW buses in California are big draw cards these days. I follow a YouTube channel called Kombi Life which chronicles the adventures of a crazy Englishman who drove one from somewhere in South America all the way to Alaska, picking up strangers to join him on the adventure (which lasted 5 years!). It was quite an interesting series. Unfortunately his Australian girlfriend that he picked up along the way I find quite annoying and the tone of his channel has changed quite a lot since she arrived. Probably a nice girl, just seems to be more about the YouTuber culture than actual adventure (which was the reason I started watching in the first place). 

VW has shown a concept vehicle to replace the old Combi/Microbus.

No sign of it going into production.

VW and Ford have only recently announced a large joint venture to produce small trucks, SUVs, and vans.  I should not be too surprised if a new tech combi comes out of that venture.  Between them, the joint Ford & VW production of small trucks (aka "UTEs") and SUVs already make them the worlds biggest producer of this class of vehicles.  Time will of course tell.

Thanks Dallas. The foreground is easily adjusted. I will try it.

I know VW is working on a neat electric van thingie that looks a lot like this old one. I think it was just a concept but that they'd like to move fwd, if they can give it enough range and keep the price down to where people can afford it.  We will see.  I'm not hip on electric cars for the reason shown here: I travel great distances to get to remote places like this and don't have time (or energy) to be hunting around for charging stations, nor time to wait around for the vehicle to charge. One day.

• Like 1

I read a news article last year that Ford USA was ceasing production of all their passenger cars, except for the Mustang and they were going to focus purely on commercial vehicles, pick-ups and SUV's. 

I'd love an electric vehicle, but yes, the range would be an issue for long haul travel as described. 

Yep, besides the Mustang Ford is getting out of the passenger car business, at least for the foreseeable future. GM has also announced major cutbacks of passenger cars, and Fiat-Chrysler already went that route years ago. A lot of people buy big hunkin pickup trucks and haul air. Those things are lucky to get 20 miles/gallon, so I don't get it myself.

I do like having a 4 wheel drive to get out in the sticks (and sand) and not have to overly worry about getting stuck. Photographers need that freedom.

Just watched that main Youtube vid on the link you sent, Dallas. Very interesting. People dream of these trips. I guess Leah is the Aussie gal.  I will watch more of his vids, I guess he's getting a boat BTW.

Yes, she's the GF. As soon as she appeared on the scene the series become very much more about raising money on Patreon than sharing the adventures Ben and the spaniel Alaska had been getting up to prior to her arrival. I'll still watch though.