I was doing a bit of work in the garden this afternoon and moved a couple of old empty plant pots.  Inside I found this red back spider. Not quite up to Alan's standards shooting hand held stacks, but Red Backs are an Australian icon.  The first image was from my phone, so has that over-sharpened look.

45902885314_01aa391b2b_o.jpg

Redback_1 (iPhone)

It was quite active inspecting it's web after I first disturbed it, but when I returned later with a proper camera, it was settled and didn't want to move much at all, so I was a bit constrained in the angles I could get.

45902883414_5ebcc1f05a_o.jpg

Redback_2  (Nikon D7000, Tamron SP90)

Looking closely, the spider seems to be a leg short!

Australian relative of the American Black Widow spider. Of course, being an Australian resident, it's more deadly. ;) Has a rather cruel habit of frequenting outhouse toilet seats, early outback settlers rapidly learnt to run a lit candle around the underside of the toilet seat at night  before planting their rear onto it. Redback bites can occasionally be fatal if anti-venom isn't administered.

The pain from a red back bite can be incredibly painful.  Fortunately they are not an aggressive spider.  Most Melbourne suburbs have them.

Their Kiwi cousin is called the Katipo.  One of NZ's few venomous creatures.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crowecg
      A few more of the Huntsman spider I found in the corner of my office.

DSC_3281 

....Updates to follow - Flickr isn't cooperating

• By crowecg
      Just about to settle down the for the evening on Sunday, when I spotted this guy in the corner.  (it might actually mean I can give a weekly photo challenge a go for this year...)

White Tail Face 

White Tail 

Looks a bit ugly compared to some of the jumping spiders I've photographed before.  (What is the world coming to when I'm considering the attractiveness of spiders?)  White tails also apparently have a nasty bite which can cause severe reactions.

Usual set up - Nikon D7000, Tamron SP90, handheld single exposure, on camera flash + LED flash light.
    • By crowecg
      Dropping a relative off at Melbourne Airport today, so took a bit of a walk around Woodlands park.  Nice day - weather couldn't decide what to do 28C and a touch of sunburn, but tomorrow we're off in search of snow!  Anyway, on to the pictures....

View across the park towards the airport 

Carpets of wildflowers

Kangaroos 

And more... 

Run away!!! 

And saving the best until last, an Echidna which my son spotted as we were just leaving. 

All D7000, landscapes with 18-105 and animals with 70-300.

• By crowecg
      Serendip Sanctuary is a park located on the plains to the west of Melbourne, just south of the You Yangs hills.  Whenever I am there it always seems deserted.

Bearded Dragon

Quoll

Owl (not so sure of what sort)

I'm surprised at how these worked out as they were all shot through the rather heavy inch square mesh that is visible in the backgrounds.

There are also some large wildfowl lakes.

And of course some marsupials - a wallaby with quite a large joey in the pouch.

All shots Nikon D7000, Nikkor 70-300 AFS

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.