Alan7140

A bit of a fire yesterday

Posted (edited)

This blew up in about five minutes from the first pall of smoke to a monstrous bushfire that consumed 15,000ha of World Heritage Area button grass plains and eucalyptus forest within a few hours. While about 45km from here in a straight line, the speed with which this thing advanced before a wind change pushed it back on itself was a frightening 10km per hour. I just took the one quick pano shot as the thing grew before my eyes before withdrawing to pack important things into the car in readiness to evacuate as soon as the order was given. Thankfully this never happened, but huge bushfires are one of the not-so-pleasant things about living in Australia.

RXcDVPU.jpg

A couple of hours after starting the smoke plume, longer than Tasmania is wide, was clearly visible to the weather satellite:

WwqDIKz.jpg

Edited by Alan7140
  • Grimmace 1

Glad to hear you are safe.  

My son was watching the cricket in Hobart on TV and the sunset looked very colourful.

A bit scary Alan - glad to hear that your area was spared.  And that you had time for the dramatic 'pano'.

It would be an interesting dilemma as to what to stick in ones car if I had to evacuate. 

I guess cash, passport & family photos would be high on my list of "must haves".

What would  others choose?  Maybe a new topic?

6 hours ago, crowecg said:

Glad to hear you are safe.  

My son was watching the cricket in Hobart on TV and the sunset looked very colourful.

I didn't see the sunset here - the smoke was something else after the change blew it in this direction.

4 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

A bit scary Alan - glad to hear that your area was spared.  And that you had time for the dramatic 'pano'.

It would be an interesting dilemma as to what to stick in ones car if I had to evacuate. 

I guess cash, passport & family photos would be high on my list of "must haves".

What would  others choose?  Maybe a new topic?

Just the irreplaceable and those things difficult to replace easily.

Most important: all my hard drives.

My Claudet stereo daguerreotypes, Larriveé LV-05E, Maton T-Byrd (serial# 0003 media release & the 1st one sold retail) and Epiphone ES-345 custom guitars. All my main camera gear. 3 changes of clothes. Sleeping mat & sleeping bag, keys, wallet, cards, phone. It took just 10 minutes to gather this up and perhaps it would take five more to pack the car if needed (which it wasn't). Given my relatively open situation I have plenty of time to get this together and have clear escape routes to the north, east, south and west, depending on where the fire is coming from.

This was a big factor in helping to decide on buying this place - my previous home was in the bush at Warrandyte with no view to the north or west (where the fire traditionally came from), and only one escape route to the south across the accident-prone bridge over the Yarra, which, if blocked, cut off all escape routes (this would apply to at least 3,000 people these days - trying to move that many over a single bridge even with the additional added lane quickly enough to escape a sudden bushfire is a politician's fantasy; the place is a death trap which needs another river crossing and a widened road). The Ash Wednesday fires in 1983 scared the crap out of me when I realised we could be trapped there and would have to take our chances in the river, and while thankfully the fire didn't get there, I swore my next place would have easy, safe egress with views that provided plenty of warning in all directions.

• Like 1

Very glad to hear that you were not called on to evacuate, Alan. That must be a terribly frightening thing to experience first hand. 

Any ideas as to what caused the fire? 

Alan, I am so glad that you are safe.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dallas said:

Very glad to hear that you were not called on to evacuate, Alan. That must be a terribly frightening thing to experience first hand. 

Any ideas as to what caused the fire? 

Dry lightning strikes started it a week ago. Although some effort was made to kill the fire then, it was in extremely remote and inaccessible terrain which made fighting it on the ground impossible, and yesterday's high temperatures and strong winds caused a couple of smaller fires to join up and resulted in the monster blaze. Today the air was thick with smoke all day, and we're told that the fire will likely burn for weeks, so a further flare-up may yet happen.

10 minutes ago, vivionm said:

Alan, I am so glad that you are safe.

Thanks, Vivion.

Wildfire is something that terrifies me.

The dangers of living in a dry populated area. Same issues here in California, lots of humans now living in areas that have traditionally burned, and we don't want them to burn anymore. Sort of like trying to stop the tide from coming in (maybe not that bad, but close).

Glad you are alright. Good that you are thinking of escape routes ahead of time. Bad things can happen fast.

-GB