crowecg

At the beach

I had a brief walk along the beach last weekend - a bit of a blustery morning.

32200909918_037e691517_o.jpg

Beach 1

45347880514_2314f69c81_o.jpg

Beach 2

Shot using the Fuji Acros film simulation, underexposed by a stop and then lifted the shadows a bit on the computer afterwards.

32200888888_b90142cdd0_o.jpg

Beach 3 

Similarly in colour too.  Actually, this was the first time I've been disapointed with Fuji colours.  The sand looks much more orange than it really is.  Perhaps I messed up something in the camera white balance somewhere.  Interestingly, just downloaded Capture1 v12 this morning and a quick try of the Fuji film simulations they have built in got the colour better on this shot.  

• Like 2

I am not very familiar with the Fuji cameras at all, but is it not possible to shoot in RAW and film emulation/JPG together? 

I like the first shot most. We've also been having an inordinate amount of wind since spring began here. It's been blowing hard for three days non-stop now, which is weird, but also a bit of a blessing because otherwise it would be really hot and sticky. 

7 hours ago, Dallas said:

I am not very familiar with the Fuji cameras at all, but is it not possible to shoot in RAW and film emulation/JPG together? 

Yes I had shot RAW+jpg pairs for some of these shots.  Having a bit more play, it may be due to the under exposure.  I’m still learning how to get good RAW conversions - I’ve been trying the in camera conversions which have slightly unusual terminology and no live preview, as well as trying to learn Capture 1, which has just had a major update in the last couple of days.

i was surprised that the new Capture 1 got the colour better with a one click simulation, which the in camera conversions didn’t.  A bit more experimentation with the in camera conversions got better colours when pushing the exposure back to what the camera originally metered, but I haven’t looked at them in the big screen and seen what I can do to keep the details in the clouds.

We’re certainly getting some windy weather this spring - perhaps the same as you are seeing.  Anyone on South America?  Wind is on it’s way 💨 

The new luminosity mask in Capture One 12 on a layer with highlights recovered in the HDR tool will keep those clouds from blowing out. It is very impressive what you can do with Capture One. I used it yesterday to recover details in the sky of this picture that I had forgotten were there when I took the picture.

F7F5870C-24CA-4176-BDB0-269672D6281D.jpeg

D3C4BCD8-D52D-4D90-8D2D-0A6DB4A5513D.jpeg

2F37F1E1-5630-4977-A875-7EA99777E6EB.jpeg

Edited by Walter Rowe

I agree with Walter, the new luminosity masking tools in C1P are great, much easier to use than Photoshop.

Thanks for the tip, Walter & Anthony.  At this stage I’m just using the Fuji Express version, so that may be one of the features that are omitted, but I will have a look. One thing ink I have spotted as missing from the Express version is the ability to play with levels and curves on individual colour channels.

Once I get a bit more familiar, I will have to pay up for one of the full versions - just need to decide “full” or “Fuji” and “annual “ or “perpetual “.

I'm not sure how the X-E3 viewfinder/monitor display is set up as default, but both the X-T1 and X-T2 inexplicably came with the displays showing film simulation turned on (so the colours looked like a kid had been let loose with fluoro crayons), and the exposure compensation display turned off, so no matter how much you added or subtracted with the compensation dial, the display remained steady. Turn the former off and the latter on and you'll get to see the colour of the scene as it looks in real life, and the lightness and darkness of exposure caused by dialling + or - displayed on screen/viewfinder in real time how exposure will look with that compensation included.

I agree that Fuji's weird terminology choices are also a hurdle - it still takes me ages to find where they buried the control of these two things, and the odd way they label the functions. At least they've discovered that "Silent" is not a generic terminology substitute for "Off" now, which was something that created an immense amount of confusion in their first models.

Edited by Alan7140
  • LOL 1

On 03/12/2018 at 10:04, Alan7140 said:

I'm not sure how the X-E3 viewfinder/monitor display is set up as default, but both the X-T1 and X-T2 inexplicably came with the displays showing film simulation turned on (so the colours looked like a kid had been let loose with fluoro crayons), and the exposure compensation display turned off, so no matter how much you added or subtracted with the compensation dial, the display remained steady. Turn the former off and the latter on and you'll get to see the colour of the scene as it looks in real life, and the lightness and darkness of exposure caused by dialling + or - displayed on screen/viewfinder in real time how exposure will look with that compensation included.

I agree that Fuji's weird terminology choices are also a hurdle - it still takes me ages to find where they buried the control of these two things, and the odd way they label the functions. At least they've discovered that "Silent" is not a generic terminology substitute for "Off" now, which was something that created an immense amount of confusion in their first models.

I have it set with both exposure and film simulation preview on.  

As I have used the Velvia simulation a lot for landscapes, I think it is a combination of that and the underexposure that is darkening the sand and making it more orange.  I have been back and took a few more shots of the same location.

Returned to the same place on Friday - just as windy but about 25C hotter than last visit.

Colour

32365727558_cce5e18a20_o.jpg

Beach 4 

Black & White

46238140681_b5f1ef3ea7_o.jpg

Beach 5 

Something that definitely needs colour

46238143331_7637232689_o.jpg

Beach 6 

And couldn't decide whether this should be colour or black & white

45514165164_202cbb9367_o.jpg

Beach 7 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2018 at 14:52, crowecg said:

I have it set with both exposure and film simulation preview on.  

As I have used the Velvia simulation a lot for landscapes, I think it is a combination of that and the underexposure that is darkening the sand and making it more orange.  I have been back and took a few more shots of the same location.

If you have film simulation turned on you'd best forget about judging the exposure by what you see in the viewfinder. The disparity is so great that when I first turned my X-T2 on (film simulation is on by default) I thought there was something seriously wrong with the camera and was on the verge of sending it back until I found that default "on" set buried in the menu. Try a few back to back of the same scene with simulation turned on and then off, adjusting the camera to display what looks to be the correct exposure in the viewfinder for each. If there is a noticeable difference in the saved files, then I'd kill the simulation. It's a gimmicky thing, anyway.