crowecg

'Old' Hong Kong

I've had another burst of digitising my old film archive recently.  Here is a selection of black and white images from Hong Kong.  They were shot on the Kodak CN (C-41 process) black & white film.  I think I only ever shot one roll of it - without control of the printing process, it was a bit average.  Now scanned, I've had the opportunity to play with the contrast a bit and got a better look from it.  Despite being from only 18 years ago, they have the look of being much older (which has the benefit of being a bit more forgiving in terms of spotting out dust and dirt from the negative).

As I used to live in the New Territories, a day out would often include a trip across the harbour.

30856030847_e45e8d2d0a_o.jpg

Old-HK 6 

Although I've titled this series 'Old', the banks still look quite modern.

30856023857_b400b2a3ab_o.jpg

Old-HK 7 

Heading west from Central district things start to look much older, although newer tower blocks can sometimes be seen along the street.

45795547791_cd8d85b171_o.jpg

Old-HK 4 

45071288534_1775e07431_o.jpg

Old-HK 8 

31924548238_fd69159a6f_o.jpg

Old-HK 1 

I'm not sure if most of the shots were from a single day, but there was a trip to Lantau too.

31924577488_b361ea4aac_o.jpg

Old-HK 2 

Then back to Kowloon at night.  I'm not sure that black & white is the best format for these night scenes given the bright colours of the neon signs, I'll have to keep working through the old films and see if there is anything like this in colour.

43978861230_83c64936fd_o.jpg

Old-HK 3

I'm not sure where the detour into the botanical gardens fitted into the sequence, but the look of this picture could add may years beyond the real age of the shot.

44882827635_4ec9ddf648_o.jpg

Old-HK 5 

Hopefully I haven't overdone the contrast, but I certainly feel they look better like this than the original prints I had from the time I took it.

• Like 1

Interesting phones photos, Chris. A bit difficult to absorb given their size here though. 

Just counting up - I'm at 1600 frames at the moment and I think I'm around half way.  That will give me about 3000 over a 15 year period.  That will be about 10% of what I've shot on digital in the 15 years since switching.

I suspect I may have some more images becoming black and white.  Around 10-15% of them seem to have some colour fading that I just can't seem to be able to correct.  

Chris, I hope to goodness that your C41 images are in better shape than my Agfacolour CT18 slides were - vitually all had turned a deep magenta. 

On the other hand, the Kodacolour 25 and 64 slides have shown little if any deterioration at all - well none that I can easily see.

Edited by Hugh_3170

Chris, been a Star ferry passenger on many occasions, but not since the 1970s. I suspect its changed a wee bit since then!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

4 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Chris, I hope to goodness that your C41 images are in better shape than my Agfacolour CT18 slides were - vitually all had turned a deep magenta. 

On the other hand, the Kodacolour 25 and 64 slides have shown little if any deterioration at all - well none that I can easily see.

It was some C41 film that had faded.  There was one batch which was probably due to bad processing as they were all processed together.  I’ll have to do a bit more research into whether any brands have been worse than others.  

3 hours ago, Mike G said:

Chris, been a Star ferry passenger on many occasions, but not since the 1970s. I suspect its changed a wee bit since then!

I think the boats might be the same but the journey will be about quarter of a mile shorter!

• Like 1

Having owned a retail processing facility in the mid '80s myself, I recall all too well my materials supplier's horror stories of what some processing places were doing to cut costs in what was becoming an increasingly price-driven and cut-throat industry as "One-Hour" processing places sprung up on almost every street corner. Chief offence was to water down bleach-fix, which made little difference at time of processing, but raised merry hell in the longevity stakes. Others would dilute their developer or skimp on replenishment - you name it, they tried everything.

I think, though, that these cost-saving measures actually cost more money than it saved, given redoes for unpredictable results ion the printing side, and loss of custom when what should have been perfectly printable film became unprintable through processing faults.

I'm sure the fact that some places also tried to get the develop and print done in significantly less than the typical one hour didn't help either.