Dallas

B&H Not Shipping Lithium Batteries?

I am looking at purchasing a Godox Wistro AD200 portable flash for some of my work. I can get them here, but there is some difficulty in finding the right transmitter for the Olympus cameras. So I thought I would look at B&H. I found what I wanted easily enough but then after adding the item to my cart I got this pop-up message: 

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 08.42.13.png

What in tarnation? I thought that there might be something about this specific battery that was causing the problem, so I added an E-M1 Mk II body to the cart, but that too triggers the same restriction. I did the same exercise at Adorama and there is no restriction on shipping the same products to me. 

So, if I understand this correctly, according to B&H it's not safe to ship lithium batteries out of the USA by plane, but it's perfectly safe to fly them around within the USA and, I guess, into the USA from their place of origin (ie China)? I smell a large amount of BS.

Are there any other members here outside of the USA who have encountered the same restrictions lately? 

I can get it to checkout for shipping to Australia.  

IMG_0745.thumb.PNG.816e0f0a6d3c6eda502ffcfd7a175291.PNG

the warning is about checking whether it is permitted to import wireless equipment.  I guess that may Be a generic warning because of radio frequency licensing differences in some countries.

it must be a problem with the courier they use to ship to SA.

I once ordered a Fuji/Domke bag because the bag was not available in the U.K. It was an awful experience so I will not order fro B&H again as I stupidly paid over the odds with them quoting customs rule and regulations which I do not believe!

But I think it’s popular company for Americans!

• Applaud 1

My question to B&H is that if Adorama can ship the same things to me with lithium batteries, why can't they? 

Personally I think they're just obfuscating the real reason they won't ship, which has more to do with regional brand control than anything else. I have since found a local seller who has the (better) controller for this flash, so I'll probably use them. A lot more expensive though after all the middlemen have added their chunks and the taxman has told you to spread 'em too. 😡

Dallas, have you tried contacting B&H directly by email. This could be a bad web page trigger. In the USA, if I order something with a single lithium battery that is an in-box item then the battery/product arrive together in the OEM packaging - just like your strobe request. If I place that same order but also request an additional battery, that additional battery is shipped separately in a ground shipment.

I'm wondering if their international shipment algorithms see just lithium battery in the product description and get too restrictive.

I'd try to contact B&H with this puzzle. Hopefully it's not complicated. If it is a erroneous web-page trigger, you may need personalized help to get past it.

Roger

Thanks Roger, but it seems that this particular shipping restriction only applies to me in SA, since other FZ members who are outside of the USA don't seem to get the same treatment. Just another way we get screwed over here by big brands. Very annoying that B&H would call it a "shipping restriction" because of the battery. 

Dallas, B&H says it uses DHL to ship to SA. I looked at the DHL web site and it specifically list bans on shipping Li batteries to SA. The language is vague and it does allow LI ion (maybe) if contained in the device. 

Anyway, I just hate to see you restricted.

Edit: Dallas, the B&H website shows the AD200 using a Li battery, not Li-ion. That's likely a mistake as the replacement battery is Li-Ion. There is a big difference in those two batteries, the Li battery is not rechargeable and contains pure Li metal, very flammable under the right conditions. Li-Ion is better behaved. This could trigger the DHL restrictions as DHL makes some distinctions between Li and Li-Ion if the latter is contained in the device.

Edited by RogerB
  • Like 1

Give KEH a try.  I know they ship batteries where others do not. I do not know their international  shipping policies.

KEH.com

Walt