Clactonian

Noyers

original.jpeg

Just for Mike G who doesn't like black and white! This looks very ordinary in colour.

Edited by Clactonian
  • Like 4

Still trying.

Nice image Mike!

very well done.

Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

Mike, how can I tell as I don’t see a colour version for comparison?

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Here we go Mike, but it was the black and white that I 'saw' when I pressed the shutter.

The lady and child were a much later addition, added for a competition. They were in another part of town that day.

DSC_1092.jpg

Nikon D3200, Sigma 17-70

Edited by Clactonian

Still trying.

There ya go! Your colour version is much lighter, less ominous. But I reckon the lady and child would be a good addition! In the B/W version I couldn’t see the child!

Mike Gorman

The monochrome image is much better IMHO, the colour version is, frankly, not very interesting.

The monochrome has, of course, had quite a lot of pp work while the colour appears to have had little or none.  So no doubt the colour could be worked up.  But the comparison shows that removal of colour can actually enhance some images  and enable the viewer to concentrate on tone and mood.

Having said all that, I normally much prefer colour and agree with Mike that many b&w images are poor - but not here.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

The monochrome image is much better IMHO, the colour version is, frankly, not very interesting.

The monochrome has, of course, had quite a lot of pp work while the colour appears to have had little or none.  So no doubt the colour could be worked up.  But the comparison shows that removal of colour can actually enhance some images  and enable the viewer to concentrate on tone and mood.

Having said all that, I normally much prefer colour and agree with Mike that many b&w images are poor - but not here.

Thanks Anthony.

The colour image was straight out of the camera and a quick shot to take advantage of a clear line of sight with no visitors.

With regard to colour versus black and white it is of course subjective. The problem as I see it is that all too often photographers will convert to black and white for no reason. My own B & W images are heavily processed, as they would have been in the darkroom, to create mood, artistic effect or to eliminate busy colourful backgrounds which take the eye away from the main subject.

It is good that we all have our personal preferences. At least it gives us something to 'talk' about!

Still trying.

I was not implying that Mike’s picture is a G&G photo, far from it just not my cup of tea!

Mike Gorman

52 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I was not implying that Mike’s picture is a G&G photo, far from it just not my cup of tea!

I'm sure nobody thought that Mike, certainly not me. This a civilised forum unlike some I could mention.

• Like 1

Still trying.

This is wonderful 

Tim

I prefer the B/W version. But, as has been said, not every image should be B/W. For me, B/W images need strong patterns and/or textures.

So reminiscent of the old world. You can feel the history there. Good capture.

Gb