BillM

Another iPhone X image

I upgraded my older iPhone to the X this year just for the camera.

45300041481_4f6999e8c7_h.jpg

Lady Maryland in Portsmouth Virginia for the 2018 Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race

• Like 1

Very nice. Maybe in the future they'll produce RAW images.

They already do. If you use the Lightroom Mobile app you can shoot in RAW and get a DNG file from the iPhones. I have tried it a few times, but it can be a little tricky to work with because it stores the images in the Adobe Cloud, so make sure you are connected to wifi before transferring. 

4 hours ago, atpaula said:

Very nice. Maybe in the future they'll produce RAW images.

Thank you  Aquinaldo!

1 hour ago, Dallas said:

They already do. If you use the Lightroom Mobile app you can shoot in RAW and get a DNG file from the iPhones. I have tried it a few times, but it can be a little tricky to work with because it stores the images in the Adobe Cloud, so make sure you are connected to wifi before transferring. 

Dallas, I looked at using raw and figured the process of phone to cloud to Lightroom Desktop was too complicated to bother with.  

I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from iPhone pictures with minimal processing on the iPad or the phone itself.  This was has a slight straightening applied to this image and the rest is out of the camera.  On the other hand, I have missed quite a few opportunities by not using a more capable camera because of my clumsiness with making exposure adjustments and getting focus right.  My fingers simply do not have the dexterity and precision needed to use the in camera controls to their fullest capability.

There are a few other apps that you could try for RAW, but I don't know of any free ones. 

Nice image.

How is the X in regard to smoothing and noise reduction.  I found that my SE can be quite aggressive with that in certain situations.

with regard to RAW, an app I've been planning on trying is camera+ 2.  It's not free but not unreasonably priced either.

Chris, you should remember the target audience for iPhones, it’s not a substitute for a camera, but that said the pictures  aren’t half bad! Certainly in my eyes good enough to replace a P&S!

Not bad at all. This level of quality will satisfy the Twitterati and Facebook crowd.

And, of course, it will also satisfy the Selfie Squad.

Thanks for the comments Dallas, Chris, Vivian and Mike. 

Here is a “high” ISO shot from the other night to show how the iPhone X handles lower light levels.  ISO 200 🙂

31426665408_5ec3836e5f_h.jpg

Dinner at Sage by Bill Mellen, on Flickr

• Like 1

On 17/10/2018 at 10:35, BillM said:

Here is a “high” ISO shot from the other night to show how the iPhone X handles lower light levels.  ISO 200 🙂

When you have a strong contrasty image, the noise reduction smoothing and sharpening isn't too distracting, but you can see that it has happened here if you look closely enough.  I'm sure most people will only look at phone pictures on their phones and therefore so small they never notice.

On the subject of high ISO - I was looking at a photo I took for work using my phone and trying to zoom into details, but found that they were ruined by the noise reduction smoothing even at ISO25.

200 is high iso ?

16 hours ago, armando_m said:

200 is high iso ?

The app on my iPhone SE that lets me access manual settingsgives me a range of 25 to 750.

On 28/10/2018 at 11:55, armando_m said:

200 is high iso ?

Apparently so. Just like old color film 🙂 

i think the camera will go higher, but the images will be smeared even more than I see in this image 

the exposure was 1/4 second which with my shaky hands makes any semblance of acuity in this picture a modern miracle!

On 21/10/2018 at 00:43, crowecg said:

When you have a strong contrasty image, the noise reduction smoothing and sharpening isn't too distracting, but you can see that it has happened here if you look closely enough.  I'm sure most people will only look at phone pictures on their phones and therefore so small they never notice.

On the subject of high ISO - I was looking at a photo I took for work using my phone and trying to zoom into details, but found that they were ruined by the noise reduction smoothing even at ISO25.

I completely agree with you Chris.  The iPhone is great for some things, good for well lit subjects and better than no camera at all for pretty much everything else..