Yesterday I visited the city of Gouda (well known for it''s cheese). It was beautiful Autumn weather so nice colours and beautiful shadows and light.

When I saw this old cast iron bridge I thought it was worth an image. The square format was intentional, no crop in post processing.

43181485950_fc5bb5cb73_b.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Luc, definitely worth an image and yes your choice of the square format works well here.  Interesting subject.

Edited by Hugh_3170

I have to agree the the square format is just right for this image, super.

One of the reasons I’m flirting with M4/3 is to get away from the 3*2 format, which to me always needs cropping!

Lovely picture.

On 01/10/2018 at 19:06, Mike G said:

One of the reasons I’m flirting with M4/3 is to get away from the 3*2 format, which to me always needs cropping!

You'd be horrified to learn that I switch off the 4:3 format in favour of the 3:2 on my cameras. This gives me the full rear LCD when composing my pics, however, because I only shoot in RAW when I bring the images into Lr and click the crop tool I can recover the cropped bits and return it to 4:3 if I need to.

• Confused 1

On 02/10/2018 at 18:09, Dallas said:

You'd be horrified to learn that I switch off the 4:3 format in favour of the 3:2 on my cameras. This gives me the full rear LCD when composing my pics, however, because I only shoot in RAW when I bring the images into Lr and click the crop tool I can recover the cropped bits and return it to 4:3 if I need to.

Are you saying that the rear LCD does not show the full native format of the sensor?

47 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Are you saying that the rear LCD does not show the full native format of the sensor?

The rear LCD is 3:2 aspect ratio so if you are showing live view in 4:3 you get black bars on the sides, which I really don't like. So I have mine set to record in 3:2 but as mentioned I can recover the cropped bits in Lightroom easily. 

Interesting, that seems a bit of a design fault.

Anthony, I reckon not so much a design fault, more a case of using a standard screen presumedly for reasons of cost and availability! Because of a possibly larger market for 3*2 format screens! After the post by Dallas, l had to look really hard to notice the black edge bars, no big deal and should I have a weak moment a 3*2 screen is there waiting for me.

Thanks, Mike, it is interesting that the format of the screen has influenced Dallas to compose in a format which uses less than the whole of what is already a small sensor.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Thanks, Mike, it is interesting that the format of the screen has influenced Dallas to compose in a format which uses less than the whole of what is already a small sensor.

The image I posted in this topic is in 1:1 format and has even less pixels than a 3:2 format on a 4:3 format. For display on a screen it's hardly noticeable and I've had large prints made from fewer megapixels. I guess nowadays most images are watched on a smartphone screen, a 4:3 or 1:1 (Instagram!) format might be better suited for this than a more traditional 3:2 format.

Edited by Luc de Schepper

One of the past advantages of the 4:3 format for those from the darkroom era of printing on 8" x 10" paper is that there is very little cropping needed to print a full 4:3 image onto 8x10 paper.  The 645 film format was popular amongst some photographers for this reason

OK, time has moved on, and A4, A3, A2 etc  with their 1.414...  to 1 printer friendly format is now more the norm and is a closer match to 3:2.  (That said, Ilford did have 8" x 12" B&W papers for a while and of course there is A4+ and A3+ printer paper out there as well....)

Nice to have choices. 😄

• Like 2

Of all the criticisms levelled at the MFT system, the size of the sensor is one that I find least bothersome. Those sensors are absolutely fine. I don't have any experience with the newer generation of 20MP versions, but the 16MP is a very capable performer. Cropping it to 3:2 doesn't bother me or any of my clients at all.