Dallas

No New DSLR's?

Vindication is a long word to spell, but it looks like I may have been right when I said a few years ago that DSLR's will all eventually give way to mirrorless technology. :) 

So far at Photokina all the big news is about new mirrorless cameras from Fujifilm and Panasonic. Even making news on the BBC. 

Very telling to be true, and at the moment I don't think any of the top players can afford to be left out of the mirrorless race.

Maybe Canon and Nikon will revisit their top end DSLRs in due course but it must be difficult to justify the R&D, manufacturing costs etc. with the market shrinking so quickly, and the mirrorless specs advancing at such a rate.

• Like 1

Still trying.

17 minutes ago, Maarten said:

Leica S3 is a DSLR

17 minutes ago, Maarten said:

Leica S3 is a DSLR

Come now, Leica don't follow trends!

Still trying.

I’m rather happy that there are no new DSLRs announced(Leica S6 excepted) Rock on mirrorless!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

What???

Everyone knows that SLR is the way of the future - a nice big mirror banging up and down to let everyone in the vicinity know you're using a REAL camera.... a big, bulky prism to add weight and presence to your equipment and so allowing a dual-purpose role as weapon to ward off muggers, no useless electronic garbage like focus peaking or focus point enlargement which just gets in the way of getting those hard-to-focus achieving a sharp image, no jittery EVF that will never equal optical finders, and better still all those old manual focus lenses that can be used to get a nice, old look to your photos.... Oh yes, give me SLR any day. I'm even willing to put my money where my mouth is - look at my latest 3.8kg $240 purchase with its $260 lens and grow green with envy. (And FILM - Long live film!!!!)

_XT22910-on1.thumb.jpg.5506c50e038dd64e8ef2bccf1a4fdae6.jpg

( :D :D :D ....for those who don't get sarcasm)....

Actually, for me the biggest news is that Sigma are working on an L mount camera with a 36x24 Foveon sensor. Given their past enlargement from APS-C to APS-H by simply adding more of the same sized pixels, such a sensor would be in the vicinity of high-40's genuine megapixels, with no luminance interpolation needed. Such a sensor could give even the Hasselblad/Fuji 100MP MF cameras a fright, which, combined with a new range of L mount lenses from Panasonic/Leica would finally give Sigma a viable presence in the up-market camera field.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Alan, not green with envy but green from feeling nauseous. 🤢

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

It is interesting, and perhaps a straw in the wind, that new DSLRs did not appear.

I was intrigued to see the Zenit M, which appears to be a Leica rangefinder clone. It is not clear from the information provided that the lens is removeable.

Why was I intrigued? Because some time ago I wrote to Zeiss asking them to produce a digital version of the Zeiss Ikon film rangefinder camera. They replied that "there was no market for such a camera".

The Zenit M gives me hope that Zeiss will have a change of heart. The Zeiss Ikon was such a pleasure to use. I am sorry now that I sold mine.

P.S. I just learned that the Zenit lens is removeable.

So basically the camera is a Leica M9 body with a Russian-made very fast (f./1.0) but very soft lens.

All for about €5,000.

I will not be queueing up for this one.

Just back from a trip to Singapore, where the camera shops have more on display than all the camera shops in Melbourne put together.  I just missed a Nikon Z presentation in one of the shops - I wold have gone but the family gets rather grumpy when I don't feed them.  I did however pop back another day and got a brief hold of a Z7.  My time with it was limited by my son picking up the D850 next to it and waving it around, pretending to be a salesman and telling me how good it was.  As I had only recently bought a new camera and not wanting to become the owner of a slightly dented ex-display D850, I had to put the Z7 down.  The feel of the Z7 was much the same as most Nikon DSLR, probably size and weight similar to a DX rather than FX model.  The viewfinder looked good, although having only a few weeks experience of EVF, I'm no expert on that.  It did have what initially seemed strange behaviour of not powering up the viewfinder until a half press of the shutter button - obviously some sort of power saving mode.

The Fuji cabinet was also well populated giving me some ideas about future lens purchases.  It was interesting to see a range of Fuji bodies lined up side by side and seeing the gradual increase in size from the X-E3 to X-T3 and X-H1.  Having seen the X-H1 now, I would say it looked almost DSLR sized.  The GFX were in a seperate cabinet, conveniently located next to the Nikon lens cabinet and from what I could see, the GFX lenses, whilst big, were not that different from some of the more top end Nikon models.

The Canon table only got a brief glimpse in passing as I wandered between the Fuji X and GF displays.  The EOS M models seemed to have a nice selection of sizes, the one which caught my eye was the M100, which was sized similar to the Fuji X-E3.  However, I think Canon have a similar habit to Nikon of removing features as the models get smaller.  That is certainly something nice about Fuji, being able to pick a small body, but not having to sacrifice features.

• Like 1