rbsinto

I'm not bad, just broke and hungry

Taken downtown here in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. The sign tells it all.
Nikon D3
zoom-Nikkor 24~70 2.8 AF-S G ED
2.8 @ 1/1000th ISO 200

I'm not bad just broke and hungry-1920.jpg

We have this at every traffic light in my city now. Whites, blacks, Asians... Poverty doesn't discriminate here anymore. This guy seems to be wearing clean clothes at least. 

13 minutes ago, Dallas said:

We have this at every traffic light in my city now. Whites, blacks, Asians... Poverty doesn't discriminate here anymore. This guy seems to be wearing clean clothes at least. 

Dallas,

Same situation here in Toronto. At every intersection, in front of busy stores, especially coffee shops and now even at highway exit ramps.  Begging has become a veritable cottage industry.

Incredibly sad situation. I've been documenting it for years, but it has no doubt become more prevalent.

Robert 

• Sad 1

Same here - as both automation and population increases things will only get worse - there is chronic underemployment everywhere which, while in statistics doesn't look so bad, in reality is recreating the under-class of poverty the 20th Century did much to reduce. Although Hobart is a small city by world standards, the euphemistically named "Queen's Domain" which straddles the northern side of the city itself now has bedding and survival gear stashed under nearly every dense, ground-hugging tree and is where many people spend their nights, unable to afford a proper roof over their head. The Hobart showgrounds has sprung a tent city for those with a bit more money, but even so it is disturbing in a city which once had one of the better earnings - cost of living ratios in the country.

What puzzles me is how blind society at large is to the rapid unfolding of this situation on an apparently global scale. A couple of days ago there was an article on BBC's website (it's the only news website I use these days for international news) describing the differences between today's generation of young adults, the infamous millennials, and those of us who are older. There are some staggering statistics to be seen in that piece. It all points to the imminent collapse of capitalism in my opinion. Our world cannot sustain this path of growth at all costs. It just can't, because the faster the train goes the more people get left behind at the station. Something has to change.

We now have Jeff Bezos as the richest man in the world with an estimated fortune of over $160 billion dollars launching a so-called benevolence fund of $2bn while people working in his warehouses can't even pay for the heating in their houses during winter (true story told to me from a close friend who worked in one in the UK last year). How can one person ever spend $1bn in their lifetime let alone $160bn? How can any social system on this earth allow such a disparity to not only exist, but become "aspirational"? 

• Like 1

You will also find the super rich like old Soros funding organisations to disarm the population, so they can keep control of the masses once they are in rags. 

Your images always tell a story and this is one is no exception. Thanks for sharing!

5 minutes ago, Chris Wahl said:

Your images always tell a story and this is one is no exception. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Chris, for your kind words.

Robert

• Like 1