waltonksm

An ecosystem??

For some time I have been trying to capture the diversity that can (and usually DOES) occur within a small patch of tundra.  I am not trying for a macro shot of a flower, but of an in focus, good depth of field, of a patch of tundra.  Between rotten weather, winds, shadows, and my tendency to make the same mistakes over and over again, I have not done well with this.  However, yesterday between rain, clouds, winds, and more, I think I finally got a few images that satisfy me (almost.) This time I went for depth of field at the cost of wind motion, my shaking, or whatever other cause of poor focus.  So, here is the rather feeble result:

First, this is a "landscape view" of the ground I am about to image:

Early Fall Tundra Vegetation At Saint Mary's, Alaska

In my mind  this is not that much different (visually) from rolling hills and grasslands in many parts of the US.  I have seen many areas in western North Dakota that would look a lot like this.... until you step out and try to walk on it; or look at the ground cover very closely. The following images were taken within 20 yards or so of where I stood to take the landscape shot, above. 

So now, for a "detail" shot:

And maybe another:

And these are not that unique.  Yes, I was shooting for color, but diversity is really all around me. 

So, does this convey, with enough depth of field, the complexity of the terrain I am trying to portray? 

But then I cannot resist some of these images, either:

Tundra Foliage, Fall, 2018

• Like 2
  • Applaud 2

I think you certainly have shown us the remarkable diversity of the tundra, something I may never get to see first hand, so thank you indeed! 

Quite informative for us southerns indeed. Well done presentation of a very distinct ecosystem (and biome if you add fauna). It is nice occasinally to see good landscape photos  with an "agenda"  rather than just the common aesthetics concept.

It is much easier to see the diversity at this time of the year.  And the images are much more interesting, of course. Thanks for looking. and for your comment.  You have made an interesting observation about the landscape shot. I had not really thought of it in this way.

Walton