danielm

When compactness is no more the flavor of the month (year, decade...) ?

P8090187.jpg

I must confess that I was not thrill at all with the advanced announcement of the Nikon and Canon mirrorless 35mm digital cameras-lenses systems. I had a strong concern about the will of these manufacturers to offer real compact mirrorless system. And I was not the only one with that fear of incomprehension from them to the very basis concept regarding mirrorless design.

Now that we are looking at Nikon and Canon answers to an anticipated decline of their customer bases it is not surprising that they simply import the D-SLR bias into theirs new model proposals. Big, somewhat already outdated and by far expensive photo devices couple with with very traditional bazooka lenses. Is this innovation? Certainly not. Is this photo equipment interesting alternative for passionate photographers who like now to travel and shoot lightly and be less intimidating for their subjects? For sure not!

So it is a profound disappointment for many of us who like photography as a visual expression of the everyday life. And so I must salute the courage of those other manufacturers who seem to be maintain the stand of compactness of mirrorless system like Olympus, Panasonic and Fujifilm. For Nikon and Canon all hopes seem to vanish in their D-SLR profit reassignment...

I believe the problem for both Canon and Nikon is one of alignment to the legacy when it comes to innovation. Nikon tried it with the 1 series and belly flopped because the uptake from their large base was poor. Same goes for the EOS M. Didn't really appeal to their existing users or offer any real advantages over their other systems. So they make products that cater for their existing market and I suppose they have to do that. As long as the smaller formats don't disappear in the process I am happy to continue using and investing in them. I do hope that the pricing of the smaller systems improves though.  

I keep my Nikon 1 V1 system for travel and wouldn't want anything larger.  With the FT-1 I can use most of my f-mount lenses.should I wish.  My most used Nikon lenses are the 70-200mm f2.8 and the 24-70mm  f2.8.  But on the V1 they are very awkward to use due to the small size of the body.  I suspect Nikon and Canon are looking at their user base of lenses and making sure  they will handle well when mounted on their new full frame mirrorless bodies.

The Nikon "trinity" of 14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, and 70-200mm f2.8 demand a body of a certain size (not to mention the exotic telephotos). Their z-mount equivalents will be no smaller or lighter (but possibly a bit shorter) since aperture and image circle are the big drivers in lens size.

Rumor has it that the upcoming APS-C Nikon Z models will retain the f-mount  and natively host the DX lenses.  I have to believe those bodies will be proportionally smaller in keeping with the smaller form factor of the DX lenses.

I have no doubt that the 1", MFT, and APS-C cameras will continue forward  since the demand for light and small will not go away.