Mike G

Posh Flats

Highly expensive apartments in Islington. Several hundreds of thousands of Pounds each. The lady at the window I think helps enormously!

Panasonic G9 + 12-60mm @ 1/1000 f4.5 ISO200

B1F1402C-393B-4E61-B99D-531EFCA119CA.thumb.jpeg.56cec06b8a73de55e221a60122e93c01.jpeg

Thought you might like a wee bit of architecture Dallas

• Like 2
  • Applaud 1

That's a super shot, Mike! I really like it. Off to the top she goes. :) 

Speaking of expensive dwellings, this almost full time job I have photographing properties these days has seen me entering some truly awesome spaces. It's true what the realtors say though, location is everything. I did a stunning house in a suburb the other day that I could honestly see myself living in (if I was a rich man). But a few days prior to that one I did this one in the same suburb, which had similar amenities, but was on a plot overlooking the ocean and selling for nearly 3x the price of the first one. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dallas, the two houses you show WOW. Too much for me though, I would rattle around living in one of those!

What gear did you use? I really like the bright and airy feel you get!

Thanks Mike! I am using the Olympus E-M1 and the 8-18mm Pan/Leica, which I was supposed to take back on Saturday, but which I am simply unable to do. I have asked them for a price on this demo unit, so I am waiting for that to materialise and then I will sell off my 9-18mm (and a few other things I am not using) to make up the shortfall. I really love the lens. Best wide angle I think I have ever used. 

Regarding the houses, yes, I have been fortunate enough to shoot some proper pearls. Most of the time the people living in them are empty nesters who simply can't keep up with the maintenance anymore. The first one I linked to was a relocating executive, but man, what a fabulous place it was. Totally private too. 

• Like 1

That 8-18 P Leica lens is turning out to be a cracker, and you are doing it justice.

The Digital Camera magazine this month has compared the Nikon D500 and the Fujifilm X-H1, the winner of the comparison is the X-H1 in everything except narrowly for fast action sports. Made my self imposed dilemma even worse!

Mike, I met with my agent this morning on another shoot and she told me that that first house I linked to was sold in 3 days of them listing it. It had been on the market for 2 years prior with 4 other agents who had used their own photos. :D Very chuffed about that bit of news! 

Some other lenses that you might want to consider for your MFT system are the Sigma DN Art series. I have owned all of them and they are really good and really affordable. There's the 19mm, 30mm & 60mm 2.8. Cost $199 each. The 60mm is astonishingly sharp - it rivals the much more expensive Olympus 75mm 1.8. 

• Like 2

The lady does indeed 'make' this excellent image for me.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike!

Dallas -- Love those images of the two homes for sale. I think they show the value of having a professional photographer shoot the property. Clearly, there has been some money spent on "staging" both homes, to skip the professional photography and resort to the agent's smart phone is truly penny wise and pound foolish. Agents in our area need a lesson like that! Frank

• Like 1

Thank you, Frank. Indeed we see it all too often with realtors here - skimping on expenses, but cashing in big when they get lucky and land a buyer. The company I am working with have a very different approach to the traditional agents in that they charge a flat rate commission for a successful sale regardless of the value of the property. Their belief is that it takes the same amount of work to sell a property irrespective of its value, so why should a more expensive house cost the seller more than a cheaper one? I can tell you that this strategy is proving to be very successful for them as they continue expanding at a rapid rate. Their agents, who are all salaried, have been outperforming all the other agencies in the areas they operate in.