merlin

Capulin Canyon

Despite lower water levels, and therefore more mudflats and strong currents to negotiate, we paddled some 9 miles upriver. The canyon is only occasionally visited, and our walk amongst the rock cliffs and wildflowers in the enveloping stillness was expansive and inspiring.

The return trip was punctuated by thunderclaps and a few lightning strikes, but we made it safely back to the boatramp. A pair of ospreys soaring over the river added to our good fortune.

X30F5840_lzn.jpg

X30F5843_lzn.jpg

X30F5885_lzn.jpg

X30F5853_lzn.jpg

X30F5859_lzn.jpg

X30F5851_lzn.jpg

X30F5866_lzn.jpg

X30F5871_lzn.jpg

X30F5878_lzn.jpg

X30F5855_lzn.jpg

X30F5869_lzn.jpg

X30F5882_lzn.jpg

Merlin, thank you for posting, I enjoyed seeing these images of NM. I was in NM years ago, but up in the Tent Rocks area(near Albuquerque if I recall), also a beautiful area. It looks lush and green there, and the rocks look very detailed in your images.  I hope to make it back to NM to see more of the state,

Debra

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgillilan said:

Merlin, thank you for posting, I enjoyed seeing these images of NM. I was in NM years ago, but up in the Tent Rocks area(near Albuquerque if I recall), also a beautiful area. It looks lush and green there, and the rocks look very detailed in your images.  I hope to make it back to NM to see more of the state,

Debra

Thanks very much, Debra, and welcome to the forum!   The Rio Grande is responsible for the lushness, and there is still a goodly amount of water in the river where we go kayaking, despite ongoing drought.

Kasha Katuwe-Tent Rocks is an amazing area.  I have been there several times, and if interested, here is a collection of my photographs from there.   https://www.merlinemrysphoto.com/Nature/Kasha-Katuwe/

Hope you get back to NM soon.  There are many incredible places to explore, and photograph!